low performance on functions returning setof record

From
"Sabin Coanda"
Date:
Hi there,

I use different functions returning setof record, and they are working well.
The problem is the performance when I use those functions in joins, for
instance:

        SELECT *
        FROM "Table1" t1
                JOIN "Function1"( a1, a2, ... aN ) AS f1( ColA int4, ColB
varchar, ... )
                        ON t1.ColX = f1.ColA

The problem is I'm not able to make indexes on the function, even inside I
have just another select statement from different permanent tables, with
some where clauses depending on the function arguments.

Do you know a way to build such a function, returning something I can join
in an outer select statement like above, using indexes or another way to run
it faster ?

TIA,
Sabin

Re: low performance on functions returning setof record

Date:
"Sabin Coanda" <sabin.coanda@deuromedia.ro> writes:
> I use different functions returning setof record, and they are working well.
> The problem is the performance when I use those functions in joins, for
> instance:

>         SELECT *
>         FROM "Table1" t1
>                 JOIN "Function1"( a1, a2, ... aN ) AS f1( ColA int4, ColB
> varchar, ... )
>                         ON t1.ColX = f1.ColA

> The problem is I'm not able to make indexes on the function, even inside I
> have just another select statement from different permanent tables, with
> some where clauses depending on the function arguments.

There's not a lot you can do about that at the moment.  8.4 will have
the ability to inline functions returning sets, if they're SQL-language
and consist of just a single SELECT, but existing releases won't do it.

You might consider trying to refactor your stuff to use views ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: low performance on functions returning setof record

From
Dimitri Fontaine
Date: