Samsung 32GB SATA SSD tested

From
"Jeffrey W. Baker"
Date:
For background, please read the thread "Fusion-io ioDrive", archived at

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2008-07/msg00010.php

To recap, I tested an ioDrive versus a 6-disk RAID with pgbench on an
ordinary PC.  I now also have a 32GB Samsung SATA SSD, and I have tested
it in the same machine with the same software and configuration.  I
tested it connected to the NVIDIA CK804 SATA controller on the
motherboard, and as a pass-through disk on the Areca RAID controller,
with write-back caching enabled.

                           Service Time Percentile, millis
       R/W TPS   R-O TPS      50th   80th   90th   95th
RAID      182       673         18     32     42     64
Fusion    971      4792          8      9     10     11
SSD+NV    442      4399         12     18     36     43
SSD+Areca 252      5937         12     15     17     21

As you can see, there are tradeoffs.  The motherboard's ports are
substantially faster on the TPC-B type of workload.  This little, cheap
SSD achieves almost half the performance of the ioDrive (i.e. similar
performance to a 50-disk SAS array.)  The RAID controller does a better
job on the read-only workload, surpassing the ioDrive by 20%.

Strangely the RAID controller behaves badly on the TPC-B workload.  It
is faster than disk, but not by a lot, and it's much slower than the
other flash configurations.  The read/write benchmark did not vary when
changing the number of clients between 1 and 8.  I suspect this is some
kind of problem with Areca's kernel driver or firmware.

On the bright side, the Samsung+Areca configuration offers excellent
service time distribution, comparable to that achieved by the ioDrive.
Using the motherboard's SATA ports gave service times comparable to the
disk RAID.

The performance is respectable for a $400 device.  You get about half
the tps and half the capacity of the ioDrive, but for one fifth the
price and in the much more convenient SATA form factor.

Your faithful investigator,
jwb

Re: Samsung 32GB SATA SSD tested

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Jeffrey W. Baker <jwbaker@gmail.com> wrote:

> Strangely the RAID controller behaves badly on the TPC-B workload.  It
> is faster than disk, but not by a lot, and it's much slower than the
> other flash configurations.  The read/write benchmark did not vary when
> changing the number of clients between 1 and 8.  I suspect this is some
> kind of problem with Areca's kernel driver or firmware.

Are you still using the 2.6.18 kernel for testing, or have you
upgraded to something like 2.6.22.  I've heard many good things about
the areca driver in that kernel version.

This sounds like an interesting development I'll have to keep track
of.  In a year or two I might be replacing 16 disk arrays with SSD
drives...

Re: Samsung 32GB SATA SSD tested

From
"Jeffrey Baker"
Date:
On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 5:32 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Jeffrey W. Baker <jwbaker@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Strangely the RAID controller behaves badly on the TPC-B workload.  It
>> is faster than disk, but not by a lot, and it's much slower than the
>> other flash configurations.  The read/write benchmark did not vary when
>> changing the number of clients between 1 and 8.  I suspect this is some
>> kind of problem with Areca's kernel driver or firmware.
>
> Are you still using the 2.6.18 kernel for testing, or have you
> upgraded to something like 2.6.22.  I've heard many good things about
> the areca driver in that kernel version.

These tests are being run with the CentOS 5 kernel, which is 2.6.18.
The ioDrive driver is available for that kernel, and I want to keep
the software constant to get comparable results.

I put the Samsung SSD in my laptop, which is a Core 2 Duo @ 2.2GHz
with ICH9 SATA port and kernel 2.6.24, and it scored about 525 on R/W
pgbench.

> This sounds like an interesting development I'll have to keep track
> of.  In a year or two I might be replacing 16 disk arrays with SSD
> drives...

I agree, it's definitely an exciting development.  I have yet to
determine whether the SSDs have good properties for production
operations, but I'm learning.

Date:
On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 1:57 PM, Jeffrey Baker <jwbaker@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 5:32 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Jeffrey W. Baker <jwbaker@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Strangely the RAID controller behaves badly on the TPC-B workload.  It
>>> is faster than disk, but not by a lot, and it's much slower than the
>>> other flash configurations.  The read/write benchmark did not vary when
>>> changing the number of clients between 1 and 8.  I suspect this is some
>>> kind of problem with Areca's kernel driver or firmware.
>>
>> Are you still using the 2.6.18 kernel for testing, or have you
>> upgraded to something like 2.6.22.  I've heard many good things about
>> the areca driver in that kernel version.
>
> These tests are being run with the CentOS 5 kernel, which is 2.6.18.
> The ioDrive driver is available for that kernel, and I want to keep
> the software constant to get comparable results.
>
> I put the Samsung SSD in my laptop, which is a Core 2 Duo @ 2.2GHz
> with ICH9 SATA port and kernel 2.6.24, and it scored about 525 on R/W
> pgbench.

From what I've read the scheduler in 2.6.24 has some performance
issues under pgsql.  Given that the 2.6.18 kernel driver for the areca
card was also mentioned as being questionable, that's the reason I'd
asked about the 2.6.22 kernel, which is the one I'll be running in
about a month on our big db servers.  Ahh, but I won't be running on
32 Gig SATA / Flash drives. :)  Wouldn't mind testing an array of 16
or so of them at once though.

Re: Samsung 32GB SATA SSD tested

From
behrangs
Date:
Jeff,

Some off topic questions:

Is it possible to boot the OS from the ioDrive? If so, is the difference in
boot up time noticeable?

Also, how does ioDrive impact compilation time for a moderately large code
base? What about application startup times?

Cheers,
Behrang