What constitutes a complex query

From
Justin
Date:
This falls under the stupid question and i'm just curious what other
people think what makes a query complex?

Re: What constitutes a complex query

From
Craig James
Justin wrote:
> This falls under the stupid question and i'm just curious what other
> people think what makes a query complex?

There are two kinds:

1. Hard for Postgres to get the answer.

2. Hard for a person to comprehend.

Which do you mean?

Craig

Re: What constitutes a complex query

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Justin <justin@emproshunts.com> wrote:
> This falls under the stupid question and i'm just curious what other people
> think what makes a query complex?

Well, as mentioned, there's two kinds.  some that look big and ugly
are actually just shovelling data with no fancy interactions between
sets.  Some reporting queries are like this.  I've made simple
reporting queries that took up many pages that were really simple in
nature and fast on even older pgsql versions (7.2-7.4)

I'd say that the use of correlated subqueries qualifies a query as
complicated.  Joining on non-usual pk-fk stuff.  the more you're
mashing one set of data against another, and the odder the way you
have to do it, the more complex the query becomes.

Re: What constitutes a complex query

From
Steve Atkins
Date:
On May 6, 2008, at 8:45 AM, Justin wrote:

> This falls under the stupid question and i'm just curious what other
> people think what makes a query complex?

If I know in advance exactly how the planner will plan the query (and
be right), it's a simple query.

Otherwise it's a complex query.

As I get a better feel for the planner, some queries that used to be
complex become simple. :)

Cheers,
   Steve

Re: What constitutes a complex query

From
"Richard Broersma"
Date:
On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 9:41 AM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd say that the use of correlated subqueries qualifies a query as
> complicated.  Joining on non-usual pk-fk stuff.  the more you're
> mashing one set of data against another, and the odder the way you
> have to do it, the more complex the query becomes.

I would add that data analysis queries that have multiple level of
aggregation analysis can be complicated also.

For example, in a table of racer times find the average time for each
team while only counting teams whom at least have greater than four
team members and produce an ordered list displaying the ranking for
each team according to their average time.

Richard Broersma Jr.

Visit the Los Angles PostgreSQL Users Group (LAPUG)
http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Craig James wrote:
> Justin wrote:
>> This falls under the stupid question and i'm just curious what other
>> people think what makes a query complex?
>
> There are two kinds:
>
> 1. Hard for Postgres to get the answer.
this one

Date:
On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Justin <justin@emproshunts.com> wrote:

>  Craig James wrote:
>
> > Justin wrote:
> >
> > > This falls under the stupid question and i'm just curious what other
> people think what makes a query complex?
> > >

> > There are two kinds:
> >
> > 1. Hard for Postgres to get the answer.
> >
>  this one

Sometimes, postgresql makes a bad choice on simple queries, so it's
hard to say what all the ones are that postgresql tends to get wrong.
Plus the query planner is under constant improvement thanks to the
folks who find poor planner choices and Tom for making the changes.