Anybody using the Dell Powervault MD3000 array?

From
"Jeffrey Baker"
Date:
Thinking about buying the Powervault MD3000 SAS array with 15 15k
300GB disks for use as a postgres tablespace.  Is anyone using these
(or other LSI/Engenio rebadge jobs?).  I'm interested in hearing about
performance of the array, and problems (if any) with Dell's SAS HBA
that comes bundled.  Also interested in performance of the maximum
config of an MD3000 with two MD1000 shelves.

-Jeff

Re: Anybody using the Dell Powervault MD3000 array?

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
Might want to check out the HP MSA70 arrays.  I've had better luck with them and you can get 25 drives in a smaller rack unit size.  I had a bad experience with the MD3000 and now only buy MD1000's with Perc 6/e when I buy Dell.

Good luck!

Thinking about buying the Powervault MD3000 SAS array with 15 15k
300GB disks for use as a postgres tablespace.  Is anyone using these
(or other LSI/Engenio rebadge jobs?).  I'm interested in hearing about
performance of the array, and problems (if any) with Dell's SAS HBA
that comes bundled.  Also interested in performance of the maximum
config of an MD3000 with two MD1000 shelves.

-Jeff

Re: Anybody using the Dell Powervault MD3000 array?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:17:10 -0400

> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Jeffrey Baker <jwbaker@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Thinking about buying the Powervault MD3000 SAS array with 15 15k
> > 300GB disks for use as a postgres tablespace.  Is anyone using these
> > (or other LSI/Engenio rebadge jobs?).  I'm interested in hearing
> > about performance of the array, and problems (if any) with Dell's
> > SAS HBA that comes bundled.  Also interested in performance of the
> > maximum config of an MD3000 with two MD1000 shelves.
> >
> > -Jeff

<moved Gavin's reply below>

"Gavin M. Roy" <gmr@myyearbook.com> wrote:

> Might want to check out the HP MSA70 arrays.  I've had better luck
> with them and you can get 25 drives in a smaller rack unit size.  I
> had a bad experience with the MD3000 and now only buy MD1000's with
> Perc 6/e when I buy Dell.
> Good luck!

I can second this. The MSA 70 is a great unit for the money.

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:17:10 -0400
>

>  > On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Jeffrey Baker <jwbaker@gmail.com>
>  > wrote:
>  >
>  > > Thinking about buying the Powervault MD3000 SAS array with 15 15k
>  > > 300GB disks for use as a postgres tablespace.  Is anyone using these
>  > > (or other LSI/Engenio rebadge jobs?).  I'm interested in hearing
>  > > about performance of the array, and problems (if any) with Dell's
>  > > SAS HBA that comes bundled.  Also interested in performance of the
>  > > maximum config of an MD3000 with two MD1000 shelves.
>  > >
>  > > -Jeff
>
>  <moved Gavin's reply below>
>  "Gavin M. Roy" <gmr@myyearbook.com> wrote:
>
>  > Might want to check out the HP MSA70 arrays.  I've had better luck
>  > with them and you can get 25 drives in a smaller rack unit size.  I
>  > had a bad experience with the MD3000 and now only buy MD1000's with
>  > Perc 6/e when I buy Dell.
>  > Good luck!
>  >

>  I can second this. The MSA 70 is a great unit for the money.

Thank you both.  The MSA 70 looks like an ordinary disk shelf.  What
controllers do you use?  Or, do you just go with a software RAID?

Re: Anybody using the Dell Powervault MD3000 array?

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:37:32 -0700
"Jeffrey Baker" <jwbaker@gmail.com> wrote:

> >  I can second this. The MSA 70 is a great unit for the money.
>
> Thank you both.  The MSA 70 looks like an ordinary disk shelf.  What
> controllers do you use?  Or, do you just go with a software RAID?

P800, from HP.

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:37:32 -0700
"Jeffrey Baker" <jwbaker@gmail.com> wrote:

> >  I can second this. The MSA 70 is a great unit for the money.
>
> Thank you both.  The MSA 70 looks like an ordinary disk shelf.  What
> controllers do you use?  Or, do you just go with a software RAID?

P800, from HP.

In a Dell box I use a Perc 6/E with a SAS to Mini SAS cable.

Gavin

Re: Anybody using the Dell Powervault MD3000 array?

From
Craig James
Date:
Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com
> <mailto:jd@commandprompt.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:37:32 -0700
>     "Jeffrey Baker" <jwbaker@gmail.com <mailto:jwbaker@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>      > >  I can second this. The MSA 70 is a great unit for the money.
>      >
>      > Thank you both.  The MSA 70 looks like an ordinary disk shelf.  What
>      > controllers do you use?  Or, do you just go with a software RAID?
>      >

>     P800, from HP.
>

> In a Dell box I use a Perc 6/E with a SAS to Mini SAS cable.

There was a fairly long recent thread discussing the Dell Perc 6 controller starting here:

  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2008-03/msg00264.php

and one relevant follow-up regarding the MD1000 box:

  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2008-03/msg00280.php

(Unfortunately, the Postgres web archive does a terrible job formatting plain-old-text messages, it doesn't seem to
knowthat it should wrap paragraphs, so some of these are pretty hard to read as web pages.)

Craig