Configuration settings (shared_buffers, etc) in Linux: puzzled

From
Rick Schumeyer
Date:
On a linux box (Linux db1 2.6.18.8-md #1 SMP Wed May 23 17:21:37 EDT
2007 i686 GNU/Linux)
I edited postgresql.conf and changed:

shared_buffers = 5000           work_mem = 16384
max_stack_depth = 4096

and then restarted postgres.  The puzzling part is that postgres
actually started.  When I have done this on other boxes, I had to edit
kernel settings to allow for more shared memory.

The kernel settings are currently:

shmmax: 33554432
shmall: 2097152

I would have expected to need to increase these before postgres would run.

I have a nagging suspicion that something isn't right.  Like it's not
actually reading the conf file, or I might have a problem on reboot.

I'm not sure if I'm worrying about nothing, or if something weird is
going on.

Re: Configuration settings (shared_buffers, etc) in Linux: puzzled

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008, Rick Schumeyer wrote:

> On a linux box (Linux db1 2.6.18.8-md #1 SMP Wed May 23 17:21:37 EDT 2007
> i686 GNU/Linux)
> I edited postgresql.conf and changed:
>
> shared_buffers = 5000           work_mem = 16384
> max_stack_depth = 4096
>
> and then restarted postgres.  The puzzling part is that postgres actually
> started.  When I have done this on other boxes, I had to edit kernel settings
> to allow for more shared memory.

You can confirm whether the settings are actually taking like this:

$ psql

postgres=# show shared_buffers;
  shared_buffers
----------------
  256MB
(1 row)

Since your shared_buffers setting should probably be in the hundreds of
megabytes range if you want good performance, you may need to update your
kernel settings anyway, but the above will let you see what the server is
actually starting with.

Re: Configuration settings (shared_buffers, etc) in Linux: puzzled

From
Fernando Ike
Date:
Em Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:00:24 -0500
Rick Schumeyer <rschumeyer@ieee.org> escreveu:

> On a linux box (Linux db1 2.6.18.8-md #1 SMP Wed May 23 17:21:37 EDT
> 2007 i686 GNU/Linux)
> I edited postgresql.conf and changed:
>
> shared_buffers = 5000           work_mem = 16384
> max_stack_depth = 4096

  This configuration is possibility of the PostgreSQL 8.1. But if don't
by 8.1, for example: 8.2 or 8.3, follow the talk Greg Smith. :)

Best Regards,
--
Fernando Ike
http://www.midstorm.org/~fike/weblog