Optimizing queries that use temporary tables

From
"Luiz K. Matsumura"
Date:
Hello,

I'm developing some routines that will use temporary tables and need
advice on how to not lose performance.

I will insert data in a temporary table and use this data to generate
new sets that will update or add to the same temporary table.

I have some questions that I'm concerned about:

- I can create indexes on this temp table to optimize queries ?

If yes...
- This indexes will be destroyed together (automatic?) the temp table
when the connection is closed ?
- When I insert a lot of new rows, need to run analyze on this temporary
table ?

Thanks in Advance.

--
Luiz K. Matsumura
Plan IT Tecnologia Informática Ltda.

Re: Optimizing queries that use temporary tables

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
On Jan 22, 2008 1:32 PM, Luiz K. Matsumura <luiz@planit.com.br> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm developing some routines that will use temporary tables and need
> advice on how to not lose performance.
>
> I will insert data in a temporary table and use this data to generate
> new sets that will update or add to the same temporary table.
>
> I have some questions that I'm concerned about:
>
> - I can create indexes on this temp table to optimize queries ?

Yes

> If yes...
> - This indexes will be destroyed together (automatic?) the temp table
> when the connection is closed ?

Yes

> - When I insert a lot of new rows, need to run analyze on this temporary
> table ?

Yes