difference between a unique constraint and a unique index ???

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
In order to get like queries to use an index with database initialized
with a UTF-8 character set I added a unique index to a table with a
varchar_pattern_ops

This table already had a unique constraint on the column so I dropped
the unique constraint.

I can't give exact measurements however this caused my application to
slow down considerably.

The only thing I can figure is that the varchar_pattern_ops operator
is significantly slower ???

Is there some other piece of the puzzle to fill in ?

Dave

Re: difference between a unique constraint and a unique index ???

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Dave Cramer wrote:
> In order to get like queries to use an index with database initialized with
> a UTF-8 character set I added a unique index to a table with a
> varchar_pattern_ops
>
> This table already had a unique constraint on the column so I dropped the
> unique constraint.
>
> I can't give exact measurements however this caused my application to slow
> down considerably.
>
> The only thing I can figure is that the varchar_pattern_ops operator is
> significantly slower ???
>
> Is there some other piece of the puzzle to fill in ?

Well, AFAIK the index with varchar_pattern_ops is used for LIKE queries,
whereas the other one is going to be used for = queries.  So you need to
keep both indexes.

--
Alvaro Herrera                  http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/5ZYLFMCVHXC
Officer Krupke, what are we to do?

Date:
On 12-Nov-07, at 9:56 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Dave Cramer wrote:
>> In order to get like queries to use an index with database
>> initialized with
>> a UTF-8 character set I added a unique index to a table with a
>> varchar_pattern_ops
>>
>> This table already had a unique constraint on the column so I
>> dropped the
>> unique constraint.
>>
>> I can't give exact measurements however this caused my application
>> to slow
>> down considerably.
>>
>> The only thing I can figure is that the varchar_pattern_ops
>> operator is
>> significantly slower ???
>>
>> Is there some other piece of the puzzle to fill in ?
>
> Well, AFAIK the index with varchar_pattern_ops is used for LIKE
> queries,
> whereas the other one is going to be used for = queries.  So you
> need to
> keep both indexes.

You would be correct, thanks for the quick answer.

Date:
> Well, AFAIK the index with varchar_pattern_ops is used for LIKE queries,
> whereas the other one is going to be used for = queries.  So you need to
> keep both indexes.

Given the current definition of text equality, it'd be possible to drop
~=~ and have the standard = operator holding the place of equality in
both the regular and pattern_ops opclasses.  Then it'd be possible to
support regular equality queries, as well as LIKE, with only the
pattern_ops index.

This would break any applications explicitly using ~=~, but how many
of those are there?

(For backwards compatibility it'd be nice if we could allow both = and
~=~ in the opclass, but the unique index on pg_amop seems to preclude
that.)

            regards, tom lane

Date:
On 12-Nov-07, at 11:37 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

>> Well, AFAIK the index with varchar_pattern_ops is used for LIKE
>> queries,
>> whereas the other one is going to be used for = queries.  So you
>> need to
>> keep both indexes.
>
> Given the current definition of text equality, it'd be possible to
> drop
> ~=~ and have the standard = operator holding the place of equality in
> both the regular and pattern_ops opclasses.  Then it'd be possible to
> support regular equality queries, as well as LIKE, with only the
> pattern_ops index.

That would be ideal. Having two indexes on the same column isn't
optimal.

Dave