TEXT or LONGTEXT?

From
"Fabiola Fernández"
Date:
Hello,

I have a database with an amount of tables and in several of them I have an attribute for a semantic definition, for which I use a field of type text. I am trying to decide if it would be worth using LONGTEXT instead of TEXT, as maybe it would slow down the data insertion and extraction. I hope that you could help me. Thank you.

--
Fabiola Fernández Gutiérrez
Grupo de Ingeniería Biomédica

Re: TEXT or LONGTEXT?

From
"Alexander Staubo"
Date:
On 9/24/07, Fabiola Fernández <fabiola.fg@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a database with an amount of tables and in several of them I have an
> attribute for a semantic definition, for which I use a field of type text. I
> am trying to decide if it would be worth using LONGTEXT instead of TEXT, as
> maybe it would slow down the data insertion and extraction. I hope that you
> could help me. Thank you.

Easy choice -- PostgreSQL does not have a data type named "longtext".

Alexander.

Re: TEXT or LONGTEXT?

From
Niklas Johansson
Date:
On 24 sep 2007, at 17.21, Fabiola Fernández wrote:
> I am trying to decide if it would be worth using LONGTEXT instead
> of TEXT, as maybe it would slow down the data insertion and
> extraction.

Postgres doesn't have a LONGTEXT datatype, so keep using TEXT.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/datatype-character.html

Sincerely,

Niklas Johansson