performance of postgresql in replication using slony

From
angga erwina
Date:
Hi all,
whats the benefits of replication by using slony in
postgresql??
My office is separate in several difference place..its
about hundreds branch office in the difference
place..so any one can help me to replicate our dbase
by using slony?? and why slony??

thanks,
Algebra.corp
Bayu

http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/

Re: performance of postgresql in replication using slony

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 01:44 -0700, angga erwina wrote:
> Hi all,
> whats the benefits of replication by using slony in
> postgresql??
> My office is separate in several difference place..its
> about hundreds branch office in the difference
> place..so any one can help me to replicate our dbase
> by using slony?? and why slony??

This question should be asked on the slony1-general list, you'll get
more responses there.

The benefit of using slony is that you can read from many servers rather
than just one.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: performance of postgresql in replication using slony

From
Chris Browne
Date:
pgsql@j-davis.com (Jeff Davis) writes:
> On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 01:44 -0700, angga erwina wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> whats the benefits of replication by using slony in
>> postgresql??
>> My office is separate in several difference place..its
>> about hundreds branch office in the difference
>> place..so any one can help me to replicate our dbase
>> by using slony?? and why slony??
>>

> This question should be asked on the slony1-general list, you'll get
> more responses there.
>
> The benefit of using slony is that you can read from many servers rather
> than just one.

Indeed.

It would be worth taking a peek at the documentation, notably the
introductory material, as that will give some idea as to whether
Slony-I is suitable at all for the desired purpose.

One thing that "tweaks" my antennae a bit is the mention of having
"hundreds branch office"; there are two things worth mentioning that
would be relevant to that:

- Slony-I is a single-master replication system, *not* a multimaster
system.  If someone is expecting to do updates at branch offices, and
that this will propagate everywhere, that is likely not to work out
easily or well.

- If it *is* fair to assess that there will only be one "master",
Slony-I is intended to support a relatively limited number of nodes.
There are no absolute restrictions on numbers of subscribers, but
there are enough communications costs that grow in a polynomial
fashion that I would be quite disinclined to have more than a dozen
nodes in a cluster.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "ofni.sesabatadxunil" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/slony.html