Locking in PostgreSQL?

From
Joost Kraaijeveld
Date:
Does PostgreSQL lock the entire row in a table if I update only 1
column?

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
web: www.askesis.nl

Re: Locking in PostgreSQL?

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
Unless you specifically ask for it postgresql doesn't lock any rows
when you update data.

Dave
On 6-Dec-06, at 2:04 AM, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

> Does PostgreSQL lock the entire row in a table if I update only 1
> column?
>

> --
> Groeten,
>
> Joost Kraaijeveld
> Askesis B.V.
> Molukkenstraat 14
> 6524NB Nijmegen
> tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
> fax: 024-3608416
> web: www.askesis.nl
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
>        match

Re: Locking in PostgreSQL?

From
"Jens Schipkowski"
Date:
On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 13:29:37 +0100, Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> wrote:

> Unless you specifically ask for it postgresql doesn't lock any rows when
> you update data.

Thats not right. UPDATE will force a RowExclusiveLock to rows matching the
WHERE clause, or all if no one is specified.
@Joost Kraaijeveld: Yes, because there is no EntryExclusiveLock or
something like that. Roughly you can say, each UPDATE statement iterates
through the affected table and locks the WHERE clause matching records
(rows) exclusivly to prevent data inconsistancy during the UPDATE. After
that your rows will be updated and the lock will be repealed.
You can see this during an long lasting UPDATE by querying the pg_locks
with joined pg_stats_activity (statement must be enabled).

> Dave
> On 6-Dec-06, at 2:04 AM, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
>
>> Does PostgreSQL lock the entire row in a table if I update only 1
>> column?
>>

>> --Groeten,
>>
>> Joost Kraaijeveld
>> Askesis B.V.
>> Molukkenstraat 14
>> 6524NB Nijmegen
>> tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
>> fax: 024-3608416
>> web: www.askesis.nl

>> TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
>>        choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
>>        match

>        match

CU,
Jens

--
**
Jens Schipkowski

Re: Locking in PostgreSQL?

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
On 6-Dec-06, at 8:20 AM, Jens Schipkowski wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 13:29:37 +0100, Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Unless you specifically ask for it postgresql doesn't lock any
>> rows when you update data.
>>
> Thats not right. UPDATE will force a RowExclusiveLock to rows
> matching the WHERE clause, or all if no one is specified.
> @Joost Kraaijeveld: Yes, because there is no EntryExclusiveLock or
> something like that. Roughly you can say, each UPDATE statement
> iterates through the affected table and locks the WHERE clause
> matching records (rows) exclusivly to prevent data inconsistancy
> during the UPDATE. After that your rows will be updated and the
> lock will be repealed.
> You can see this during an long lasting UPDATE by querying the
> pg_locks with joined pg_stats_activity (statement must be enabled).

Apparently I've completely misunderstood MVCC then.... My
understanding is that unless you do a select ... for update then
update the rows will not be locked .

Dave

>> Dave
>> On 6-Dec-06, at 2:04 AM, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
>>
>>> Does PostgreSQL lock the entire row in a table if I update only 1
>>> column?
>>>

>>> --Groeten,
>>>
>>> Joost Kraaijeveld
>>> Askesis B.V.
>>> Molukkenstraat 14
>>> 6524NB Nijmegen
>>> tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
>>> fax: 024-3608416
>>> web: www.askesis.nl
>>>
>>> ---------------------------(end of
>>> broadcast)---------------------------
>>> TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
>>>        choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do
>>> not
>>>        match
>>>

>> ---------------------------(end of
>> broadcast)---------------------------
>> TIP 9: In versions below 8.0, the planner will ignore your desire to
>>        choose an index scan if your joining column's datatypes do not
>>        match
>

> CU,
> Jens
>
> --
> **
> Jens Schipkowski
>
> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------

Re: Locking in PostgreSQL?

From
"Steinar H. Gunderson"
Date:
On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 08:26:45AM -0500, Dave Cramer wrote:
> Apparently I've completely misunderstood MVCC then.... My
> understanding is that unless you do a select ... for update then
> update the rows will not be locked .

The discussion was about updates, not selects. Selects do not in general lock
(except for ... for update, as you say).

To (partially) answer the original question: The number of columns updated
does not matter for the locking situation.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/

Re: [GENERAL] Locking in PostgreSQL?

From
Markus Schiltknecht
Date:
Hi,

Dave Cramer wrote:
> Apparently I've completely misunderstood MVCC then....

Probably not. You are both somewhat right.

Jens Schipkowski wrote:
 >> Thats not right. UPDATE will force a RowExclusiveLock to rows
 >> matching the WHERE clause, or all if no one is specified.

That almost right, RowExclusiveLock is a table level lock. An UPDATE
acquires that, yes. Additionally there are row-level locks, which is
what you're speaking about. An UPDATE gets an exclusive row-level lock
on rows it updates.

Please note however, that these row-level locks only block concurrent
writers, not readers (MVCC lets the readers see the old, unmodified row).

> My understanding
> is that unless you do a select ... for update then update the rows will
> not be locked.

Also almost right, depending on what you mean by 'locked'. A plain
SELECT acquires an ACCESS SHARE lock on the table, but no row-level
locks. Only a SELECT ... FOR UPDATE does row-level locking (shared ones
here...)

The very fine documentation covers that in [1].

Regards

Markus

[1]: PostgreSQL Documentation, Explicit Locking:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/explicit-locking.html

Re: [GENERAL] Locking in PostgreSQL?

From
Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 08:26:45AM -0500, Dave Cramer wrote:
> >>Unless you specifically ask for it postgresql doesn't lock any
> >>rows when you update data.
> >>
> >Thats not right. UPDATE will force a RowExclusiveLock to rows
> >matching the WHERE clause, or all if no one is specified.
>
> Apparently I've completely misunderstood MVCC then.... My
> understanding is that unless you do a select ... for update then
> update the rows will not be locked .

I think it comes down to what you mean by RowExclusiveLock. In MVCC,
writers don't block readers, so even if someone executes an update on a
row, readers (SELECT statements) will not be blocked.

So it's not a lock as such, more a "I've updated this row, go find the
new version if that's appropriate for your snapshot".

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment

Re: Locking in PostgreSQL?

From
Casey Duncan
Date:
On Dec 5, 2006, at 11:04 PM, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

> Does PostgreSQL lock the entire row in a table if I update only 1
> column?

Know that updating 1 column is actually updating the whole row. So if
one transaction updates column A of a row, it will block another
concurrent transaction that tries to update column B of the same row.
As was mentioned however, neither of these transactions block others
reading the row in question, though they see the row as it existed
before the updates until those update transactions commit.

If you know that your application will suffer excessive update
contention trying to update different columns of the same row, you
could consider splitting the columns into separate tables. This is an
optimization to favor write contention over read performance (since
you would likely need to join the tables when selecting) and I
wouldn't do it speculatively. I'd only do it if profiling the
application demonstrated significantly better performance with two
tables.

-Casey

Re: Locking in PostgreSQL?

From
Erik Jones
Date:
Casey Duncan wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2006, at 11:04 PM, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:
>
>> Does PostgreSQL lock the entire row in a table if I update only 1
>> column?
>
> Know that updating 1 column is actually updating the whole row. So if
> one transaction updates column A of a row, it will block another
> concurrent transaction that tries to update column B of the same row.
> As was mentioned however, neither of these transactions block others
> reading the row in question, though they see the row as it existed
> before the updates until those update transactions commit.
>
> If you know that your application will suffer excessive update
> contention trying to update different columns of the same row, you
> could consider splitting the columns into separate tables. This is an
> optimization to favor write contention over read performance (since
> you would likely need to join the tables when selecting) and I
> wouldn't do it speculatively. I'd only do it if profiling the
> application demonstrated significantly better performance with two
> tables.
>
> -Casey
Or, come up with some kind of (pre)caching strategy for your updates
wherein you could then combine multiple updates to the same row into one
update.

--
erik jones <erik@myemma.com>
software development