Performance in a 7 TB database.

From
Nuno Alexandre Alves
Date:
Hi,

I have a customer who wants a database solution for a 7 TB database.
Insert will be the main action in the database.

There are some case studies with detail information about performance
and hardware solution on this database size?
What are the minimum hardware requirements for this kind of database?

Thanks is advance,
Nuno
DISCLAIMER: This message may contain confidential information or privileged material and is intended only for the
individual(s)named. If you are not a named addressee and mistakenly received this message you should not copy or
otherwisedisseminate it: please delete this e-mail from your system and notify the sender immediately. E-mail
transmissionsare not guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost,
destroyed,arrive late or incomplete or contain viruses. Therefore, the sender does not accept liability for any errors
oromissions in the contents of this message that arise as a result of e-mail transmissions. Please request a hard copy
versionif verification is required. Critical Software, SA.

Re: Performance in a 7 TB database.

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
On Fri, 2006-09-08 at 10:30 +0100, Nuno Alexandre Alves wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a customer who wants a database solution for a 7 TB database.
> Insert will be the main action in the database.
>
> There are some case studies with detail information about performance
> and hardware solution on this database size?
> What are the minimum hardware requirements for this kind of database?

This is a good place to start:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/users

I would expect that the case studies for databases greater than 7TB are
few and far between (for any database software). If you decide
PostgreSQL is right, I'm sure the advocacy mailing list would like to
see your case study when you are finished.

Your hardware requirements mostly depend on how you're going to use the
data. If you expect that most of the data will never be read, and that
the database will be more of an archive, the requirements might be quite
reasonable. However, if or when you do need to search through that data,
expect it to take a long time.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis