Re: [BUGS] BUG #2567: High IOWAIT

From
"Jim Nasby"
Date:

From: Kumarselvan S [mailto:kumar@nexge.com]
Sent: Wed 8/9/2006 11:33 PM
To: Jim Nasby
Subject: RE: [BUGS] BUG #2567: High IOWAIT

Regards,
Kumar
-----Original Message-----
From: Jim C. Nasby [mailto:jnasby@pervasive.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2006 3:57 AM
To: kumarselvan
Cc: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org

This isn't a bug; moving to pgsql-performance.

On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 08:42:02AM +0000, kumarselvan wrote:
> i have installed the postgres as mentioned in the Install file. it is a 4
> cpu 8 GB Ram Machine installed with Linux Enterprise version 3. when i am
> running a load which will perfrom 40 inserts persecond on 2 tables and 10
> updates per 10seconds on differnt table IOWait on avg going upto 70% due
> which i am not able to increase the load. Is there is any other way to
> install the postgres on multiprocessor machine.. can any one help me on
> this...

You haven't given us nearly enough information. What kind of hardware is
this? RAID? What changes have you made to postgresql.conf?

quad

Re: [BUGS] BUG #2567: High IOWAIT

From
Markus Schaber
Date:
Hi, Jim,

Jim Nasby wrote:

> Your biggest win would be to batch those inserts together into
> transactions, if possible.

Using COPY instead of INSERT might even give better wins, and AFAIK some
client libs use COPY internally (e. G. tablewriter from libpqxx).

> If not, the commit_delay settings might help you out.

As far as I understand, this will only help for concurrent inserts by
different clients, dealing throughput for latency. Please correct me if
I'm wrong.

HTH,
Markus