System queue

From
Marek Dabrowski
Date:
Hello

On my serwer Linux Fedora, HP DL360G3 with 2x3.06 GHz 4GB RAM working
postgresql 7.4.6. Cpu utilization is about 40-50% but system process
queue is long - about 6 task. Do you have nay sugestion/solution?

Regards
Marek

Re: System queue

From
Frank Wiles
Date:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:22:59 +0100
Marek Dabrowski <marek.dabrowski@infor.pl> wrote:

> Hello
>
> On my serwer Linux Fedora, HP DL360G3 with 2x3.06 GHz 4GB RAM working
> postgresql 7.4.6. Cpu utilization is about 40-50% but system process
> queue is long - about 6 task. Do you have nay sugestion/solution?

  We're going to need a lot more information than that to diagnose what
  is going on.  Do you have any functions or queries that will need to
  use a large amount of CPU?

  In general I would suggest upgrading to the latest Fedora and moving
  to PostgreSQL 8.x.  Doing this will get you some extra performance,
  but will probably not entirely solve your problem.

 ---------------------------------
   Frank Wiles <frank@wiles.org>
   http://www.wiles.org
 ---------------------------------

Re: System queue

From
Jeff Trout
Date:
On Nov 22, 2005, at 9:22 AM, Marek Dabrowski wrote:

> Hello
>
> On my serwer Linux Fedora, HP DL360G3 with 2x3.06 GHz 4GB RAM
> working postgresql 7.4.6. Cpu utilization is about 40-50% but
> system process queue is long - about 6 task. Do you have nay
> sugestion/solution?\

High run queue (loadavg) with low cpu usage means you are IO bound.
Either change some queries around to generate less IO, or add more
disks.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/