What's a lot of connections?

From
Karim Nassar
Date:
I am working on a system that uses postgresql 7.4.2 (can't change that
until 8.1 goes stable). Just figured out that there are about 285,000
connections created over about 11 hours every day. That averages out to
about 7.2 connections per second.

Is that a lot? I've never seen that many.

--
Karim Nassar <karim.nassar@acm.org>

Re: What's a lot of connections?

From
"Jeffrey W. Baker"
Date:
On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 00:00 -0700, Karim Nassar wrote:
> I am working on a system that uses postgresql 7.4.2 (can't change that
> until 8.1 goes stable). Just figured out that there are about 285,000
> connections created over about 11 hours every day. That averages out to
> about 7.2 connections per second.
>
> Is that a lot? I've never seen that many.

I see about 8 million connections per full day.  Connecting to postgres
is cheap.

-jwb

Re: What's a lot of connections?

Date:
"Jeffrey W. Baker" <jwbaker@acm.org> writes:
> On Fri, 2005-07-15 at 00:00 -0700, Karim Nassar wrote:
>> I am working on a system that uses postgresql 7.4.2 (can't change that
>> until 8.1 goes stable). Just figured out that there are about 285,000
>> connections created over about 11 hours every day. That averages out to
>> about 7.2 connections per second.
>>
>> Is that a lot? I've never seen that many.

> I see about 8 million connections per full day.  Connecting to postgres
> is cheap.

It's not *that* cheap.  I think you'd get materially better performance
if you managed to pool your connections a bit.  By the time a backend
has started, initialized itself, joined a database, and populated its
internal caches with enough catalog entries to get useful work done,
you've got a fair number of cycles invested in it.  Dropping the backend
after only one or two queries is just not going to be efficient.

            regards, tom lane