Profiler for PostgreSQL

From
Agha Asif Raza
Date:
Is there any MS-SQL Server like 'Profiler' available for PostgreSQL? A profiler is a tool that monitors the database server and outputs a detailed trace of all the transactions/queries that are executed on a database during a specified period of time. Kindly let me know if any of you knows of such a tool for PostgreSQL.

Agha Asif Raza

Re: Profiler for PostgreSQL

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
Try turning on query logging and using the 'pqa' utility on pgfoundry.org.

Chris

Agha Asif Raza wrote:
> Is there any MS-SQL Server like 'Profiler' available for PostgreSQL? A
> profiler is a tool that monitors the database server and outputs a
> detailed trace of all the transactions/queries that are executed on a
> database during a specified period of time. Kindly let me know if any of
> you knows of such a tool for PostgreSQL.
>
> Agha Asif Raza

Re: Profiler for PostgreSQL

Date:
Agha Asif Raza wrote:
> Is there any MS-SQL Server like 'Profiler' available for PostgreSQL? A
> profiler is a tool that monitors the database server and outputs a detailed
> trace of all the transactions/queries that are executed on a database during
> a specified period of time. Kindly let me know if any of you knows of such a
> tool for PostgreSQL.
>  Agha Asif Raza

Sure see log_statement in postgresql.conf.  There are a lot of settings
in there to control what is logged.

Re: Profiler for PostgreSQL

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 14:29 +0800, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> Try turning on query logging and using the 'pqa' utility on pgfoundry.org.

Have you got that to work for 8 ?

pqa 1.5 doesn't even work with its own test file.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: Profiler for PostgreSQL

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Agha Asif Raza wrote:
>
>>Is there any MS-SQL Server like 'Profiler' available for PostgreSQL? A
>>profiler is a tool that monitors the database server and outputs a detailed
>>trace of all the transactions/queries that are executed on a database during
>>a specified period of time. Kindly let me know if any of you knows of such a
>>tool for PostgreSQL.
>> Agha Asif Raza
>

> Sure see log_statement in postgresql.conf.  There are a lot of settings
> in there to control what is logged.

There's nothing really comparable at the moment, but some tasks can be
done with log_statement.
I'm planning to implement a full-blown profiling like MSSQL's, but don't
expect this too soon (I'm thinking about this for a year now. So many
plans, so little time).

Regards,
Andreas