indentifying the database in a Postgres log file.

From
Theo Galanakis

I have written a program that parses a syslog file, reading all the postgres transactions. I would like to know if there is a way for postgres to log also the specific database the sql statement originated from.

The only options available in the postgresql.conf are:
#log_connections = false
#log_duration = false
#log_pid = false
#log_statement = false
#log_timestamp = false
#log_hostname = false
#log_source_port = false

Is this possible? Or is there a smart work around.

Regards,
        Theo

This email, including attachments, is intended only for the addressee
and may be confidential, privileged and subject to copyright. If you
have received this email in error, please advise the sender and delete
it. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you must not
use, copy or disclose its content to anyone. You must not copy or
communicate to others content that is confidential or subject to
copyright, unless you have the consent of the content owner.

Re: indentifying the database in a Postgres log file.

Date:
Theo Galanakis wrote:

> I have written a program that parses a syslog file, reading all the postgres
> transactions. I would like to know if there is a way for postgres to log
> also the specific database the sql statement originated from.
>
> The only options available in the postgresql.conf are:
> #log_connections = false
> #log_duration = false
> #log_pid = false
> #log_statement = false
> #log_timestamp = false
> #log_hostname = false
> #log_source_port = false
>
> Is this possible? Or is there a smart work around.

In pre-8.0 the only way to do it is to log connections, grab the
database from there, and add the pid to join all log rows back to the
server row.  In 8.0 we have log_line_prefix that can display all
information.