Processor optimization compile options?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

I'm wondering if people have had success with 7.4 and 8.0 using specific
compile optimizations not provided by the default PG install.    Since -O2
and others have been built into config, I've not been doing much myself.

What are other people's experiences in this area?   Do you have any stats to
back it up?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Processor optimization compile options?

From
"Alexander Kirpa"
Date:
Starting from 7.4.1 on P4 and FreeBSD 5.x (exclude 5.0 - gcc in this
edition have optimization error)
I use next configure command
----------------------------------
./configure --prefix=/opt/postgres-7.4.1 --with-pgport=5432
        --with-pam --enable-syslog --enable-depend
        'CFLAGS= -O3 -pipe -mfpmath=sse -msse2 -msse
        -mmmx -march=pentium4 -mcpu=pentium4'
w/o any problem.
As I remember improvement as always task depended and
have 30-100%.

Best regards,
 Alexander Kirpa