sort_mem affect on inserts?

From
"David Parker"
Date:
I understand that the sort_mem conf setting affects queries with order by, etc., and the doc mentions that it is used
increate index. Does sort_mem affect the updating of indexes, i.e., can the sort_mem setting affect the performance of
inserts?

- DAP
David Parker    Tazz Networks    (401) 709-5130

Re: sort_mem affect on inserts?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
David,

> I understand that the sort_mem conf setting affects queries with order by,
> etc., and the doc mentions that it is used in create index. Does sort_mem
> affect the updating of indexes, i.e., can the sort_mem setting affect the
> performance of inserts?

Only if the table has Foriegn Keys whose lookup might require a large sort.
Otherwise, no.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: sort_mem affect on inserts?

From
Jan Wieck
Date:
On 11/17/2004 5:07 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> David,
>
>> I understand that the sort_mem conf setting affects queries with order by,
>> etc., and the doc mentions that it is used in create index. Does sort_mem
>> affect the updating of indexes, i.e., can the sort_mem setting affect the
>> performance of inserts?
>
> Only if the table has Foriegn Keys whose lookup might require a large sort.
> Otherwise, no.

Hmmm ... what type of foreign key lookup would that be? None of the RI
generated queries has any order by clause.

Jan

Re: sort_mem affect on inserts?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jan,

> Hmmm ... what type of foreign key lookup would that be? None of the RI
> generated queries has any order by clause.

I was under the impression that work_mem would be used for the index if there
was an index for the RI lookup.   Wrong?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: sort_mem affect on inserts?

From
Neil Conway
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> I was under the impression that work_mem would be used for the index if there
> was an index for the RI lookup.   Wrong?

Yes -- work_mem is not used for doing index scans, whether for RI
lookups or otherwise.

-Neil