Some quick Opteron 32-bit/64-bit results

From
William Yu
Date:
I just finished upgrading the OS on our Opteron 148 from Redhat9 to
Fedora FC2 X86_64 with full recompiles of Postgres/Apache/Perl/Samba/etc.

The verdict: a definite performance improvement. I tested just a few CPU
intensive queries and many of them are a good 30%-50% faster.
Transactional/batch jobs involving client machines (i.e. include fixed
client/networking/odbc overhead) seem to be about 10%-20% faster
although I will need run more data through the system to get a better
feel of the numbers.

Re: Some quick Opteron 32-bit/64-bit results

From
Gustavo Franklin Nóbrega
Date:
Hi Willian,

    Which are the GCC flags that you it used to compile PostgreSQL?

Best regards,

Gustavo Franklin Nóbrega
Infraestrutura e Banco de Dados
Planae Tecnologia da Informação
(+55) 14 3224-3066 Ramal 209
www.planae.com.br

> I just finished upgrading the OS on our Opteron 148 from Redhat9 to
> Fedora FC2 X86_64 with full recompiles of Postgres/Apache/Perl/Samba/etc.
>
> The verdict: a definite performance improvement. I tested just a few CPU
> intensive queries and many of them are a good 30%-50% faster.
> Transactional/batch jobs involving client machines (i.e. include fixed
> client/networking/odbc overhead) seem to be about 10%-20% faster
> although I will need run more data through the system to get a better
> feel of the numbers.

Re: Some quick Opteron 32-bit/64-bit results

From
William Yu
Date:
Biggest speedup I've found yet is the backup process (PG_DUMP --> GZIP).
100% faster in 64-bit mode. This drastic speed might be more the result
of 64-bit GZIP though as I've seen benchmarks in the past showing
encryption/compression running 2 or 3 times faster in 64-bit mode versus
32-bit.

William Yu wrote:

> I just finished upgrading the OS on our Opteron 148 from Redhat9 to
> Fedora FC2 X86_64 with full recompiles of Postgres/Apache/Perl/Samba/etc.
>
> The verdict: a definite performance improvement. I tested just a few CPU
> intensive queries and many of them are a good 30%-50% faster.
> Transactional/batch jobs involving client machines (i.e. include fixed
> client/networking/odbc overhead) seem to be about 10%-20% faster
> although I will need run more data through the system to get a better
> feel of the numbers.

Re: Some quick Opteron 32-bit/64-bit results

From
William Yu
Date:
I gave -O3 a try with -funroll-loops, -fomit-frame-pointer and a few
others. Seemed to perform about the same as the default -O2 so I just
left it as -O2.

Gustavo Franklin Nóbrega wrote:
> Hi Willian,
>
>     Which are the GCC flags that you it used to compile PostgreSQL?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Gustavo Franklin Nóbrega
> Infraestrutura e Banco de Dados
> Planae Tecnologia da Informação
> (+55) 14 3224-3066 Ramal 209
> www.planae.com.br
>

>>I just finished upgrading the OS on our Opteron 148 from Redhat9 to
>>Fedora FC2 X86_64 with full recompiles of Postgres/Apache/Perl/Samba/etc.
>>
>>The verdict: a definite performance improvement. I tested just a few CPU
>>intensive queries and many of them are a good 30%-50% faster.
>>Transactional/batch jobs involving client machines (i.e. include fixed
>>client/networking/odbc overhead) seem to be about 10%-20% faster
>>although I will need run more data through the system to get a better
>>feel of the numbers.

>>TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command
>>    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)

Re: Some quick Opteron 32-bit/64-bit results

From
Greg Stark
Date:
William Yu <wyu@talisys.com> writes:

> Biggest speedup I've found yet is the backup process (PG_DUMP --> GZIP). 100%
> faster in 64-bit mode. This drastic speed might be more the result of 64-bit
> GZIP though as I've seen benchmarks in the past showing encryption/compression
> running 2 or 3 times faster in 64-bit mode versus 32-bit.

Isn't this a major kernel bump too? So a different scheduler, different IO
scheduler, etc?

--
greg

Date:
Greg Stark wrote:
> William Yu <wyu@talisys.com> writes:
>

>>Biggest speedup I've found yet is the backup process (PG_DUMP --> GZIP). 100%
>>faster in 64-bit mode. This drastic speed might be more the result of 64-bit
>>GZIP though as I've seen benchmarks in the past showing encryption/compression
>>running 2 or 3 times faster in 64-bit mode versus 32-bit.
>

> Isn't this a major kernel bump too? So a different scheduler, different IO
> scheduler, etc?

I'm sure there's some speedup due to the kernel bump. I really didn't
have the patience to even burn the FC2 32-bit CDs much less install both
32-bit & 64-bit FC2 in order to have a more accurate baseline comparison.

However, that being said -- when you see huge speed increases like 50%
100% for dump+gzip, it's doubtful the kernel/process scheduler/IO
scheduler could have made that drastic of a difference. Maybe somebody
else who has done a 2.4 -> 2.6 upgrade can give us a baseline to
subtract from my numbers.

Re: Some quick Opteron 32-bit/64-bit results

From
Cott Lang
Date:
I ran quite a few file system benchmarks in RHAS x86-64 and FC2 x86-64
on a Sun V40z - I did see very consistent 50% improvements in bonnie++
moving from RHAS to FC2 with ext2/ext3 on SAN.