OS desicion

From
Tom Fischer
Date:
Hi List,

I have a Dual-Xeon 3Ghz System with with GB RAM and an Adaptec 212ß SCSI
RAID with 4 SCA Harddiscs. Our customer wants to have the Machine tuned
for best Database performance. Which OS should we used? We are tending
between Linux 2.6 or FreeBSD. The Database Size is 5GB and ascending.
Most SQL-Queries are Selects, the Tablesizes are beetween 300k and up to
10 MB. I've read the Hardware Performance Guide and the result was to
take FreeBSD in the Decision too :)

And what is on this Context Switiching Bug i have read in the Archive?

Hope you can help me

Regards

Tom

Re: OS desicion

From
Matt Clark
Date:
You are asking the wrong question.  The best OS is the OS you (and/or
the customer)  knows and can administer competently.  The real
performance differences between unices are so small as to be ignorable
in this context.  The context switching bug is not OS-dependent, but
varys in severity across machine architectures (I understand it to be
mostly P4/Athlon related, but don't take my word for it).

Tom Fischer wrote:

>Hi List,
>
>I have a Dual-Xeon 3Ghz System with with GB RAM and an Adaptec 212ß SCSI
>RAID with 4 SCA Harddiscs. Our customer wants to have the Machine tuned
>for best Database performance. Which OS should we used? We are tending
>between Linux 2.6 or FreeBSD. The Database Size is 5GB and ascending.
>Most SQL-Queries are Selects, the Tablesizes are beetween 300k and up to
>10 MB. I've read the Hardware Performance Guide and the result was to
>take FreeBSD in the Decision too :)
>
>And what is on this Context Switiching Bug i have read in the Archive?
>
>Hope you can help me
>
>Regards
>
>Tom

>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Re: OS desicion

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Tom,

> You are asking the wrong question.  The best OS is the OS you (and/or
> the customer)  knows and can administer competently.

I'll have to 2nd this.

> The real
> performance differences between unices are so small as to be ignorable
> in this context.

Well, at least the difference between Linux and BSD.   There are substantial
tradeoffs should you chose to use Solaris or UnixWare.

> The context switching bug is not OS-dependent, but
> varys in severity across machine architectures (I understand it to be
> mostly P4/Athlon related, but don't take my word for it).

The bug is at its apparent worst on multi-processor HT Xeons and weak
northbridges running Linux 2.4.  However, it has been demonstrated (with
lesser impact) on Solaris/Sparc, PentiumIII, and Athalon.   Primarily it
seems to affect data warehousing applications.   Your choice of OS is not
affected by this bug.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: OS desicion

From
Matt Clark

The real
performance differences between unices are so small as to be ignorable
in this context.
<>
Well, at least the difference between Linux and BSD. There are substantial
tradeoffs should you chose to use Solaris or UnixWare.
Yes, quite right, I should have said 'popular x86-based unices'.

Re: OS desicion

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 09:38:51AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Tom,
>
> > You are asking the wrong question.  The best OS is the OS you (and/or
> > the customer)  knows and can administer competently.
>
> I'll have to 2nd this.

I'll 3rd but add one tidbit: FreeBSD will schedule disk I/O based on
process priority, while linux won't. This can be very handy for things
like vacuum.