Drop Tables Very Slow in Postgresql 7.2.1

From
Maneesha Nunes
Date:
Hello there !!!

I  am using  postgresql7.2.1  as the backend for an E.R.P system running
on Linux  Redhat 7.2(Enigma)
The database size is around 20-25GB
Dropping of an individual table whose size is around 200Mb takes more
than 7 mins, and also increases the load on our System
The database is vacuumed/ reindexed on a daily basis.

We have recreated the same database on a Linux Redhat release 9 OS, and
used PostgreSQL 7.3.2, the drop  here is really  fast.

Any  suggestions as to  how I  could improve the performance of drop on
postgresql7.2.1.

Thanks
maneesha.

Re: Drop Tables Very Slow in Postgresql 7.2.1

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 12:33:01PM +0530, Maneesha Nunes wrote:
> Hello there !!!
>
> I  am using  postgresql7.2.1  as the backend for an E.R.P system running
> on Linux  Redhat 7.2(Enigma)

You should upgrade, to at the _very least_ the last release of 7.2.
There were bugs in earlier releases fixed in later releases; that's
why there's a 7.2.4.  (I'll also point out that the 7.2 series is
missing plenty of performance enhancements which came later.  I'd get
to work on upgrading, because 7.2 is now basically unmaintained.)

But in any case, you likely have issues on your system tables.  I'd
do a VACUUM FULL and a complete REINDEX of the system tables next.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.
        --J.D. Baldwin