compiling 7.4.1 on Solaris 9

From
teknokrat
Date:
can anyone tell me what the best way to compile postgresql 7.4.1 on
Solaris 9 (UltraSparcIII)  is? I have latest gmake and gcc installed. I
was going to use CFLAGS="-O2 -fast -mcpu=ultrasparc" based on snippets
I've read about the place. Would using -O3 be an improvement?

thanks

Re: compiling 7.4.1 on Solaris 9

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 12:46:23PM +0000, teknokrat wrote:
> I've read about the place. Would using -O3 be an improvement?

In my experience, it's not only not an improvement, it sometimes
breaks the code.  That's on 8, though, not 9.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
The plural of anecdote is not data.
        --Roger Brinner

Date:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 12:46:23PM +0000, teknokrat wrote:
>
>>I've read about the place. Would using -O3 be an improvement?
>

> In my experience, it's not only not an improvement, it sometimes
> breaks the code.  That's on 8, though, not 9.

thanks, i remember a thread about problems with flags passed to gcc on
solaris. I was wondering if there had been any resolution and if the
defaults for 7.4 are considered Ok.

Date:
On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:54:23AM +0000, teknokrat wrote:
> thanks, i remember a thread about problems with flags passed to gcc on
> solaris. I was wondering if there had been any resolution and if the
> defaults for 7.4 are considered Ok.

As near as I can tell, -O2 is used by default on Solaris now.  Again,
this is on 8, not 9.

At work, we have been doing a number of tests on 7.4.  The
performance is such an improvement over 7.2 that the QA folks thought
there must be something wrong.  So I suppose the defaults are ok.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca

Re: compiling 7.4.1 on Solaris 9

From
Jeff
Date:
On Mar 2, 2004, at 5:54 AM, teknokrat wrote:

> Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 12:46:23PM +0000, teknokrat wrote:
>>> I've read about the place. Would using -O3 be an improvement?
>> In my experience, it's not only not an improvement, it sometimes
>> breaks the code.  That's on 8, though, not 9.
>
> thanks, i remember a thread about problems with flags passed to gcc on
> solaris. I was wondering if there had been any resolution and if the
> defaults for 7.4 are considered Ok.

Yes. The compile flags on solaris were fixed on 7.4.  Previously it
wasn't using any optimization flags.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/

Date:
On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 11:07:28AM -0500, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> At work, we have been doing a number of tests on 7.4.  The
> performance is such an improvement over 7.2 that the QA folks thought
> there must be something wrong.  So I suppose the defaults are ok.

I know, I know, replying to myself.  I just wanted to note that we
_were_ using optimisation with 7.2.  7.4 is still a lot faster.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca