advice on raid controller

From
Richard Jones
Date:
Hi, i'm on the verge of buying a "MegaRAID SCSI 320-2" raid controller.
I need it to build a db server using 4x ultra320 scsi disks
i'm thinking raid 1+0 but will try with raid5 too and compare

Does anyone have any experience with this model, good or bad i'd like to
know.. thanks :)

as seen:
http://uk.azzurri.com/product/product.cgi?productId=188

Regards,
Richard.

PS: whoever mentioned starting a site with raid controller reviews, excellent
idea - its hard to find decent info on which card to buy.

Re: advice on raid controller

From
allanwind@lifeintegrity.com (Allan Wind)
Date:
On 2003-09-27T18:24:33+0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> i'm on the verge of buying a "MegaRAID SCSI 320-2" raid controller.

You may want to check out the PCI-X version of this controller that
LSILogic just released (MegaRAID SCSI 320-2X).  PCI-X is backwards
compatible with PCI, but also gives you greater bandwidth if your
motherboard supports it (at least, that's the marketing fluff).

Adaptec and Intel makes (PCI) controllers with similar specs to the one
you mentioned.

> I need it to build a db server using 4x ultra320 scsi disks
> i'm thinking raid 1+0 but will try with raid5 too and compare

The Fujitsu 15k drives look sweet :-)

> PS: whoever mentioned starting a site with raid controller reviews, excellent
> idea - its hard to find decent info on which card to buy.

You may want to check recent archives for RAID threads.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
P.O. Box 2022

Re: advice on raid controller

From
Ron Johnson
Date:
On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 12:24, Richard Jones wrote:
> Hi, i'm on the verge of buying a "MegaRAID SCSI 320-2" raid controller.
> I need it to build a db server using 4x ultra320 scsi disks
> i'm thinking raid 1+0 but will try with raid5 too and compare
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this model, good or bad i'd like to
> know.. thanks :)
>
> as seen:
> http://uk.azzurri.com/product/product.cgi?productId=188

I don't see anything on that page regarding RAM cache.  It's been
my experience that RAID 5 needs a *minimum* of 128MB cache to have
good performance.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

Why is cyber-crime not being effectively controlled? What is
fuelling the rampancy?
* Parental apathy & the public education system
http://www.linuxsecurity.com/feature_stories/feature_story-150.html

Re: advice on raid controller

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
RIchard,

> Hi, i'm on the verge of buying a "MegaRAID SCSI 320-2" raid controller.
> I need it to build a db server using 4x ultra320 scsi disks
> i'm thinking raid 1+0 but will try with raid5 too and compare

Depends on your type of database.  If you're doing web or OLAP (lots of
read-only queries) RAID 5 will probably be better.   If you're doing OLTP
(lots of read-write) RAID 10 will almost certainly be better.  But if you
have time, testing is always best.

> as seen:
> http://uk.azzurri.com/product/product.cgi?productId=188

I haven'te used it personally, but what I don't see in the docs is a
battery-backed cache.   Without battery backup on the write cache, IMHO you
are better off with Linux of BSD software RAID, since you'll have to turn off
the card's write cache, lest your database get corrupted on power-out.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: advice on raid controller

From
"Matt Clark"
Date:
As others have mentioned, you really ought to get battery-backed cache if
you're doing any volume of writes.  The ability to do safe write-back
caching makes an *insane* difference to write performance.

The site you link to also has that for only 15% more money:
http://uk.azzurri.com/product/product.cgi?productId=80

No experience with the card(s) I'm afraid.

In general though, U320 will only be faster than U160 for large sequential
reads, or when you have silly numbers of disks on a channel (i.e. more than
4/channel).  If you have silly numbers of disks, then RAID5 will probably be
better, if you have 4 disks total then RAID1+0 will probably be better.  In
between it depends on all sorts of other factors.  Bear in mind though that
if you *do* have silly numbers of disks then more channels and more cache
will count for more than anything else, so spend the money on that rather
than latest-and-greatest performance for a single channel.

HTH

Matt

"scott.marlowe"
Date:
I've used the megaraid / LSI cards in the past and they were pretty good
in terms of reliability, but the last one I used was the 328 model, from 4
years ago or so.  that one had a battery backup option for the cache, and
could go to 128 Meg.  We tested it with 4/16 and 128 meg ram, and it was
about the same with each, but we didn't do heavy parallel testing either.

Here's the page on the megaraid cards at lsilogic.com:

http://www.lsilogic.com/products/stor_prod/raid/ultra320products.html

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, Matt Clark wrote:

> As others have mentioned, you really ought to get battery-backed cache if
> you're doing any volume of writes.  The ability to do safe write-back
> caching makes an *insane* difference to write performance.
>
> The site you link to also has that for only 15% more money:
> http://uk.azzurri.com/product/product.cgi?productId=80
>
> No experience with the card(s) I'm afraid.
>
> In general though, U320 will only be faster than U160 for large sequential
> reads, or when you have silly numbers of disks on a channel (i.e. more than
> 4/channel).  If you have silly numbers of disks, then RAID5 will probably be
> better, if you have 4 disks total then RAID1+0 will probably be better.  In
> between it depends on all sorts of other factors.  Bear in mind though that
> if you *do* have silly numbers of disks then more channels and more cache
> will count for more than anything else, so spend the money on that rather
> than latest-and-greatest performance for a single channel.
>
> HTH
>
> Matt

Will LaShell
Date:
On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 06:48, scott.marlowe wrote:
> I've used the megaraid / LSI cards in the past and they were pretty good
> in terms of reliability, but the last one I used was the 328 model, from 4
> years ago or so.  that one had a battery backup option for the cache, and
> could go to 128 Meg.  We tested it with 4/16 and 128 meg ram, and it was
> about the same with each, but we didn't do heavy parallel testing either.
>
> Here's the page on the megaraid cards at lsilogic.com:
>
> http://www.lsilogic.com/products/stor_prod/raid/ultra320products.html
>
> On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, Matt Clark wrote:
>
> > As others have mentioned, you really ought to get battery-backed cache if
> > you're doing any volume of writes.  The ability to do safe write-back
> > caching makes an *insane* difference to write performance.
> >
> > The site you link to also has that for only 15% more money:
> > http://uk.azzurri.com/product/product.cgi?productId=80
> >
> > No experience with the card(s) I'm afraid.
> >
> > In general though, U320 will only be faster than U160 for large sequential
> > reads, or when you have silly numbers of disks on a channel (i.e. more than
> > 4/channel).  If you have silly numbers of disks, then RAID5 will probably be
> > better, if you have 4 disks total then RAID1+0 will probably be better.  In
> > between it depends on all sorts of other factors.  Bear in mind though that
> > if you *do* have silly numbers of disks then more channels and more cache
> > will count for more than anything else, so spend the money on that rather
> > than latest-and-greatest performance for a single channel.

Just to add my thoughts,  we use the MegaRaid Elite 1650 in 3 servers
here that drive our core databases.  We paired up the controllers with
the Seagate Cheetah 10k drives,  we could have purchased the X15's which
are Seagate's 15k version, but due to budget constraints and lack of
true performance increase from the 10k to the 15k rpm drives we didn't
opt for them.

I have to say that I've been 100% pleased with the performance and
reliability of the Megaraid controllers. They do everything a good
controller should and they are very easy to manage. The driver is
actively maintained by the guys at LSI and their tech support personnel
are very good as well.

If you want any specific information or have any questions about our
experience or configuration please feel free to contact me.

Sincerely,

Will LaShell

> > HTH
> >
> > Matt

Attachment

Date:
On 29 Sep 2003, Will LaShell wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 06:48, scott.marlowe wrote:
> > I've used the megaraid / LSI cards in the past and they were pretty good
> > in terms of reliability, but the last one I used was the 328 model, from 4
> > years ago or so.  that one had a battery backup option for the cache, and
> > could go to 128 Meg.  We tested it with 4/16 and 128 meg ram, and it was
> > about the same with each, but we didn't do heavy parallel testing either.
> >
> > Here's the page on the megaraid cards at lsilogic.com:
> >
> > http://www.lsilogic.com/products/stor_prod/raid/ultra320products.html
> >
> > On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, Matt Clark wrote:
> >
> > > As others have mentioned, you really ought to get battery-backed cache if
> > > you're doing any volume of writes.  The ability to do safe write-back
> > > caching makes an *insane* difference to write performance.
> > >
> > > The site you link to also has that for only 15% more money:
> > > http://uk.azzurri.com/product/product.cgi?productId=80
> > >
> > > No experience with the card(s) I'm afraid.
> > >
> > > In general though, U320 will only be faster than U160 for large sequential
> > > reads, or when you have silly numbers of disks on a channel (i.e. more than
> > > 4/channel).  If you have silly numbers of disks, then RAID5 will probably be
> > > better, if you have 4 disks total then RAID1+0 will probably be better.  In
> > > between it depends on all sorts of other factors.  Bear in mind though that
> > > if you *do* have silly numbers of disks then more channels and more cache
> > > will count for more than anything else, so spend the money on that rather
> > > than latest-and-greatest performance for a single channel.
>
> Just to add my thoughts,  we use the MegaRaid Elite 1650 in 3 servers
> here that drive our core databases.  We paired up the controllers with
> the Seagate Cheetah 10k drives,  we could have purchased the X15's which
> are Seagate's 15k version, but due to budget constraints and lack of
> true performance increase from the 10k to the 15k rpm drives we didn't
> opt for them.
>
> I have to say that I've been 100% pleased with the performance and
> reliability of the Megaraid controllers. They do everything a good
> controller should and they are very easy to manage. The driver is
> actively maintained by the guys at LSI and their tech support personnel
> are very good as well.
>
> If you want any specific information or have any questions about our
> experience or configuration please feel free to contact me.

To add one more feature the LSI/MegaRAIDs have that I find interesting,
you can put two in a machine, build a RAID0 or 5 on each card, then mirror
the two cards together, and should one card / RAID0 ot 5 chain die, the
other card will keep working.  I.e. the work like one big card with
failover.

Re: advice on raid controller

From
Palle Girgensohn
Date:
Stupid question, perhaps, but would a battery-backed cache make it safe to
set fsync=false in postgresql.conf?

/Palle

--On söndag, september 28, 2003 13.07.57 +0100 Matt Clark <matt@ymogen.net>
wrote:

> As others have mentioned, you really ought to get battery-backed cache if
> you're doing any volume of writes.  The ability to do safe write-back
> caching makes an *insane* difference to write performance.

Re: advice on raid controller

From
Palle Girgensohn
Date:
Come to think of it, I guess a battery-backed cache will make fsync as fast
as no fsync, right? So, the q was kinda stoopid... :-/

/Palle

--On måndag, september 29, 2003 23.31.54 +0200 Palle Girgensohn
<girgen@pingpong.net> wrote:

> Stupid question, perhaps, but would a battery-backed cache make it safe
> to set fsync=false in postgresql.conf?
>
> /Palle
>
> --On söndag, september 28, 2003 13.07.57 +0100 Matt Clark
> <matt@ymogen.net> wrote:
>
>> As others have mentioned, you really ought to get battery-backed cache if
>> you're doing any volume of writes.  The ability to do safe write-back
>> caching makes an *insane* difference to write performance.

Re: advice on raid controller

From
"Matt Clark"
Date:
Not in general.  Besides, with a write-back cache an fsync() is very nearly
'free', as the controller will report the write as completed as soon as it's
written to cache.

I keep meaning to benchmark the difference, but I only have the facility on
a production box, so caution gets the better of me every time :-)

AFAIK the fsync calls are used to guarantee the _ordering_ of writes to
permanent storage (i.e. fsync() is called before doing something, rather
than after doing something.  So PG can be sure that before it does B, A has
definitely been written to disk).

But I could well be wrong.  And there could well be strategies exploitable
with the knowledge that a write-back cache exists that aren't currently
implemented - though intuitively I doubt it.

Date:
\Palle Girgensohn wrote:
> Come to think of it, I guess a battery-backed cache will make fsync as fast
> as no fsync, right? So, the q was kinda stoopid... :-/

With fsync off, the data might never get to the battery-backed RAM.  :-(

Re: advice on raid controller

From
Vivek Khera
Date:

PG> Come to think of it, I guess a battery-backed cache will make fsync as
PG> fast as no fsync, right? So, the q was kinda stoopid... :-/

In my testing, yes, the battery cache makes fsync=true just about as
fast as fsync=false.  it was only about 2 seconds slower (out of 4
hours) while doing a restore.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/

Date:

RJ> Hi, i'm on the verge of buying a "MegaRAID SCSI 320-2" raid controller.
RJ> I need it to build a db server using 4x ultra320 scsi disks
RJ> i'm thinking raid 1+0 but will try with raid5 too and compare

No specific tips on that particular RAID, but in general it seems that
you want to *disable* the read-ahead and enable the write-back cache.
This is from reading on the linux megaraid developers list.

Also, for 4 disks, go with RAID 1+0 for your best performance.  I
found it faster.  However, with my 14 disk system, RAID5 is fastest.