Peformance of Update

From
Date:
Hi,
    Currently we are using postgresql 7.3 with Redhat linux 9. We find that when we try to execute 200,000 update statement through JDBC, the performance of degraded obviously for each update statement when comparing with less update statement(eg. 5000). Is there any suggestion that we can improve the performance for executing update statement at postgresql ? Thanks.

Regards,
Ricky.

Re: Peformance of Update

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 11 Aug 2003 at 19:33, whchung@popularworld.com wrote:
>  Currently we are using postgresql 7.3 with Redhat linux 9. We find that
> when we try to execute 200,000 update statement through JDBC, the performance
> of degraded obviously for each update statement when comparing with less update
> statement(eg. 5000). Is there any suggestion that we can improve the
> performance for executing update statementat postgresql ? Thanks.

How are you bunching your transactions? I mean how many updates per
transaction?

And have you tried moving WAL to separate disk for such a update heavy
environment? Have you are tuned FSM to take care of dead tuples generated in
vacuum? Are you running autovacuum daemon?

All these things are almost a must for such update heavy environment..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Moore's Constant:    Everybody sets out to do something, and everybody    does
something, but no one does what he sets out to do.