Daily crash

From
"Catalin"
Date:
Hi there,

Is there any performance tunning that i can make to the postgresql server to
make the server more stable.
In my case the main usage of the DB is from an website which has quite lots
of visitors.
In the last weeks the SQL server crashes every day !

Before complete crash the transaction start to work slower.

I would appreciate any suggestion regarding this issue !

Thank you !

Catalin
www.xclub.ro

Re: Daily crash

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 27 Feb 2003 at 14:19, Catalin wrote:
> Is there any performance tunning that i can make to the postgresql server to
> make the server more stable.
> In my case the main usage of the DB is from an website which has quite lots
> of visitors.
> In the last weeks the SQL server crashes every day !

Could you please post the database logs? This is weird as far as I can guess.

Bye
 Shridhar

--
I'm frequently appalled by the low regard you Earthmen have for life.        --
Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3

Re: Daily crash

From
"Catalin"
Date:
i'm afraid i don't have any logs.
i have the default redhat instalation of postgres 7.0.2 which comes with no
logging enabled.

i will try to enable logging and post the logs to the list !

anyway in PHP when trying to connect to the crashed SQL server i get the
error message:
Too many connections...

Catalin

Date:
On 27 Feb 2003 at 14:51, Catalin wrote:

> i'm afraid i don't have any logs.
> i have the default redhat instalation of postgres 7.0.2 which comes with no
> logging enabled.
>
> i will try to enable logging and post the logs to the list !
>
> anyway in PHP when trying to connect to the crashed SQL server i get the
> error message:
> Too many connections...

Tell me. Does that sound like a crash? To me the server is well alive.

And if you are using default configuration, you must be experiencing a  real
pathetic performance for a real world load.

Try tuning the database. There are too many tips to put in one place. but
editing /var/lib/data/postgresql/postgresql.conf ( I hope I am right, I am too
used to do pg_ctl by hand. Never used services provided by disro.s) is first
step. You need to read the admin guide as well.

HTH

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Glib's Fourth Law of Unreliability:    Investment in reliability will increase
until it exceeds the    probable cost of errors, or until someone insists on

Re: Daily crash

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 14:51:59 +0200,
  Catalin <catalin@cyber.ro> wrote:
> i'm afraid i don't have any logs.
> i have the default redhat instalation of postgres 7.0.2 which comes with no
> logging enabled.

You should upgrade to 7.2.4 or 7.3.2. (7.3 has schemas and that may make
upgrading harder which is why you might consider just going to 7.2.4.)

> i will try to enable logging and post the logs to the list !
>
> anyway in PHP when trying to connect to the crashed SQL server i get the
> error message:
> Too many connections...

You are going to want the number of allowed connections to match the number
of simultaneous requests possible from the web server. Typically this is
the maximum number of allowed apache processes which defaults to something
like 150. The default maximum number of connections to postgres is about
32. You will also want to raise the number of shared buffers to about
1000 (assuming you have at least a couple hundred of megabytes of memory),
not just to 2 times the new maximum number of connections. This may require
to change the maximum amount of shared memory allowed by your operating
system. Also take a look at increasing sort mem as well. You don't want
this too high because each sort gets this much memory and in your situation
it may be that you could have a lot of sorts runing at the same time
(dpending on the types of queries being done).