Doc patch: type modifiers

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
From
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/sql-createtype.html :

type_modifier_input_function

        The name of a function that converts numeric modifier(s) for the
        type into internal form.

type_modifier_output_function

        The name of a function that converts the internal form of the
        type's modifier(s) to external textual form.

But the paragraph above says:

"...take one or more simple constants or identifiers as modifiers..."

So in the description of the input function, "numeric" is wrong, and
should be something like "textual" (for the sake of symmetry).

Patch attached.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Attachment

Re: Doc patch: type modifiers

Date:
Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> writes:
> From
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/sql-createtype.html :
> type_modifier_input_function
>         The name of a function that converts numeric modifier(s) for the
>         type into internal form.

Yeah, this text is a holdover from the original user-definable-modifiers
patch, in which the modifiers indeed had to be numbers.  I don't quite
like your suggestion of using "textual", though, because that makes it
sound like the input and output functions are exact inverses, which they
are not.  How about "... converts an array of modifier(s) for ..."?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Doc patch: type modifiers

From
Jeff Davis
Date:
> Yeah, this text is a holdover from the original user-definable-modifiers
> patch, in which the modifiers indeed had to be numbers.  I don't quite
> like your suggestion of using "textual", though, because that makes it
> sound like the input and output functions are exact inverses, which they
> are not.  How about "... converts an array of modifier(s) for ..."?

Sounds good to me.

Regards,
    Jeff Davis

Re: Doc patch: type modifiers

Date:
Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> writes:
>> How about "... converts an array of modifier(s) for ..."?

> Sounds good to me.

OK, done.

            regards, tom lane