minor init script fix

From
"Tucker, James"

Good Afternoon,

I almost feel embarrassed submitting this however figured I may as well.  It's just a fix to the status option of the init script shipped in the rpm version (8.2.6 RHEL5).  Hopefully it's ok to submit it directly to this list, apologies if not.

The status option of the init script doesn't work on a per postmaster basis, it simply tests that a postmaster process is running.  So if one is running multiple postmasters configured via /etc/sysconfig/pgsql/xxx files, it can cause confusion (or bigger issues if combined with something like redhat cluster suite).  The fix simply tests for the specific postmaster process.  Thanks.

<<postgresql.init.status_fix.diff>>

Kind regards,
James Tucker | Systems Engineer – Australia | Transaction Network Services*
Level 21, 300 Adelaide Street | Brisbane QLD 4000 | Australia
Office +61.7.3224.9834 | Fax +61.7.3224.1785 | Mobile +61.418.288.424
e-mail jtucker@tnsi.com | http://www.tnsi.com

* Dialect Payment Technologies has been acquired by Transaction Network Services in 2007 and are in the process of integrating with the new parent company.  Dialect staff can still be reached on their former @dialectpayments.com e-mail addresses but these will be phased out gradually, please update your address book with the appropriate tnsi.com e-mail address you received this e-mail from.  For additional information please visit the TNS website listed above.

Attachment

Re: minor init script fix

Date:
Uh, I don't think we control that file --- the patch has to be submitted
to the RHEL5 team, I think.

Tucker, James wrote:
> Good Afternoon,
>
> I almost feel embarrassed submitting this however figured I may as well.
> It's just a fix to the status option of the init script shipped in the
> rpm version (8.2.6 RHEL5).  Hopefully it's ok to submit it directly to
> this list, apologies if not.
>
> The status option of the init script doesn't work on a per postmaster
> basis, it simply tests that a postmaster process is running.  So if one
> is running multiple postmasters configured via /etc/sysconfig/pgsql/xxx
> files, it can cause confusion (or bigger issues if combined with
> something like redhat cluster suite).  The fix simply tests for the
> specific postmaster process.  Thanks.
>
>  <<postgresql.init.status_fix.diff>>
>
> Kind regards,
> James Tucker | Systems Engineer - Australia | Transaction Network
> Services*
> Level 21, 300 Adelaide Street | Brisbane QLD 4000 | Australia
> Office +61.7.3224.9834 | Fax +61.7.3224.1785 | Mobile +61.418.288.424
> e-mail jtucker@tnsi.com <mailto:example@tnsi.com>  | http://www.tnsi.com
>
> * Dialect Payment Technologies has been acquired by Transaction Network
> Services in 2007 and are in the process of integrating with the new
> parent company.  Dialect staff can still be reached on their former
> @dialectpayments.com e-mail addresses but these will be phased out
> gradually, please update your address book with the appropriate tnsi.com
> e-mail address you received this e-mail from.  For additional
> information please visit the TNS website listed above.

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Re: minor init script fix

Date:
> Uh, I don't think we control that file --- the patch has to be submitted
> to the RHEL5 team, I think.

You rang?

But yes, please submit this in Red Hat's bugzilla.

(Devrim might need it too, I forget whether the coding in the PGDG
initscript is identical here.)

            regards, tom lane

Re: minor init script fix

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:

> (Devrim might need it too, I forget whether the coding in the PGDG
> initscript is identical here.)

Yes, we are more or less the same.

Thanks James, applied this patch to PGDG RPM init scripts.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ , RHCE