Re: [HACKERS] Archiver behavior at shutdown

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 17:28 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
>
> > My original one line change described on bug 3843 seems like the best
> > solution for 8.3.
> >

> +1
> Is this change in time for RC1?

Patch attached.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Attachment

Date:
On Sat, 2008-01-05 at 12:09 +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 17:28 +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> > Simon Riggs wrote:
> >
> > > My original one line change described on bug 3843 seems like the best
> > > solution for 8.3.
> > >

> > +1
> > Is this change in time for RC1?
>
> Patch attached.

Not sure why this hasn't being applied yet for 8.3

We have a small problem, a fix and a user voting for the fix.

Can we discuss, briefly?

--

Date:
> Not sure why this hasn't being applied yet for 8.3

Because it doesn't fix the problem ... which is that the postmaster
kills the archiver (and the stats collector too) at what is now the
wrong point in the shutdown sequence.

            regards, tom lane

Date:
> > Not sure why this hasn't being applied yet for 8.3
>
> Because it doesn't fix the problem ... which is that the postmaster
> kills the archiver (and the stats collector too) at what is now the
> wrong point in the shutdown sequence.

The original bug report states the problem as being that the archiver
stays for a noticeable period after postmaster shutdown. My patch fixes
that very safely.

It doesn't fix your request for redesign, which I accept is still
pending and I've explained why.

I don't see any reason to leave the original problem hanging just
because the fix isn't as wide as we might really like.