Re: [HACKERS] Oops in fe-auth.c

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 03:36:21PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> I've been debugging some really weird crashes in libpq on win32, and I
> think I've finally found the reason for the heap corruption that shows up
> in msvc debug mode.
>
> When run in debug mode, the runtime for msvc will *zero-pad the entire
> buffer* in a strncpy() call. This in itself is not bad (just slow), but it
> shows a rather bad bug in libpq.
>
> In a bunch of places in fe-auth.c, we do:
> strncpy(PQerrormsg, libpq_gettext("out of memory\n"), PQERRORMSG_LENGTH);
>

> Except when calling it, the size of the buffer is 256 bytes. But
> PQERRORMSG_LENGTH is 1024.
>
> Naturally, this causes a heap corruption. It doesn't happen in production,
> because the string length fits as long as there is no padding.
>
> One way to get around this on win32 is to just use snprintf() instead of
> strncpy(), since it doesn't pad. But that's just hiding the underlying
> problem, so I think that's a really bad fix.
>
> I assume the comment in the header:
>  * NOTE: the error message strings returned by this module must not
>  * exceed INITIAL_EXPBUFFER_SIZE (currently 256 bytes).
>
> refers to this, but it's hard to guarantee that from the code since it's
> translated strings.
>
> I see a comment in fe-connect.c that has
> * XXX fe-auth.c has not been fixed to support PQExpBuffers,
>

> Given this, I'll go ahead and fix fe-connect to support PQExpBuffers,
> unless there are any objections. Also, is this something we shuold
> backpatch - or just ignore since we've had no actual reports of it in the
> field?

Actually coding up a patch for that was just a bunch of simple
search/replace ops. Attached is one that appears to work fine for me.

Actually coding up a patch for that was just a bunch of simple
search/replace ops. Attached is one that appears to work fine for me.

Was there any reason why this wasn't done before, or just nobody had the
time? If there was a reason, please let me know what it was :-) Otherwise
I'll apply this patch to fix it.

(Question about backpatch remains)

//Magnus

Attachment

Re: [HACKERS] Oops in fe-auth.c

Date:
> Actually coding up a patch for that was just a bunch of simple
> search/replace ops. Attached is one that appears to work fine for me.

> Was there any reason why this wasn't done before, or just nobody had the
> time? If there was a reason, please let me know what it was :-)

AFAIR nobody got round to it because it hadn't seemed important.

> (Question about backpatch remains)

I'd vote against backpatching.  The appropriate fix for back branches
is probably just to reduce the strncpy and snprintf arguments to
INITIAL_EXPBUFFER_SIZE, ie, make the code do what that header comment
says it should do.

Style point: in the places where you've chosen to pass the whole PGconn,
you should remove any separate arguments that are actually just PGconn
fields; eg for pg_krb5_sendauth it looks like sock and servicename are
now redundant.  Otherwise there are risks of programmer confusion, and
maybe even wrong code generation, due to aliasing.

It would be more consistent to pass PGconn around to all of these
functions instead of trying to have them have just partial views of it,
but I dunno if you want to engage in purely cosmetic changes.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] Oops in fe-auth.c

From
Magnus Hagander
Tom Lane wrote:
>> Actually coding up a patch for that was just a bunch of simple
>> search/replace ops. Attached is one that appears to work fine for me.
>
>> Was there any reason why this wasn't done before, or just nobody had the
>> time? If there was a reason, please let me know what it was :-)
>
> AFAIR nobody got round to it because it hadn't seemed important.

Ok. I actually managed to provoke a GSSAPI error that got cut off at 256
characters in testing. Which is kind of amazing in itself, but...

>> (Question about backpatch remains)
>
> I'd vote against backpatching.  The appropriate fix for back branches
> is probably just to reduce the strncpy and snprintf arguments to
> INITIAL_EXPBUFFER_SIZE, ie, make the code do what that header comment
> says it should do.

Right. See other mail as well.

> Style point: in the places where you've chosen to pass the whole PGconn,
> you should remove any separate arguments that are actually just PGconn
> fields; eg for pg_krb5_sendauth it looks like sock and servicename are
> now redundant.  Otherwise there are risks of programmer confusion, and
> maybe even wrong code generation, due to aliasing.
>
> It would be more consistent to pass PGconn around to all of these
> functions instead of trying to have them have just partial views of it,
> but I dunno if you want to engage in purely cosmetic changes.

I'll go ahead and do that now, while I'm whacking the code around.

//Magnus