pg_dump --no-tablespaces patch

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
This is the patch I proposed on hackers to make pg_dump optionally ignore tablespaces.  The patch is against 8.2.4.  If I should be applying it to CVS head or what not, please let me know (along with any thoughts, concerns or issues).

Gavin
Attachment

Re: pg_dump --no-tablespaces patch

From
Dave Page
Date:
Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> This is the patch I proposed on hackers to make pg_dump optionally
> ignore tablespaces.  The patch is against 8.2.4.  If I should be
> applying it to CVS head or what not, please let me know (along with any
> thoughts, concerns or issues).

Hi Gavin,

It should be against -head - there are changes to pg_dump in 8.3 that
may well prevent a patch against 8.2.4 applying cleanly.

As it's you, I assume you realise that you're too late for 8.3?

Regards, Dave.

Re: pg_dump --no-tablespaces patch

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
Yes, Tom suggested 8.4 would be a likely candidate should it be accepted.

Date:

    http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches_hold

Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> This is the patch I proposed on hackers to make pg_dump optionally ignore
> tablespaces.  The patch is against 8.2.4.  If I should be applying it to CVS
> head or what not, please let me know (along with any thoughts, concerns or
> issues).
>
> Gavin

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: pg_dump --no-tablespaces patch

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
I wanted to push to see if I made a version of this patch against CVS
head if we could see it included in 8.3.

It's of clear value for people who use pg_dump and tablespaces.  HOT
and tsearch development still continues and implementations of each
feature are still being discussed/debated as of this morning.  It
seems to me that 8.3 code base is not static and we're not at the bug
cleanup phase of nearing release.

This patch is minor and makes admin, backup and recovery much easier
for people who use the tablespace feature and elect not to use
pg_dumpall.  I think waiting for 8.4 at this point is a bit silly,
given the scope of code and impact of the patch.

Gavin

Date:
Gavin M. Roy wrote:
> I wanted to push to see if I made a version of this patch against CVS
> head if we could see it included in 8.3.
>
> It's of clear value for people who use pg_dump and tablespaces.  HOT
> and tsearch development still continues and implementations of each
> feature are still being discussed/debated as of this morning.  It
> seems to me that 8.3 code base is not static and we're not at the bug
> cleanup phase of nearing release.
>
> This patch is minor and makes admin, backup and recovery much easier
> for people who use the tablespace feature and elect not to use
> pg_dumpall.  I think waiting for 8.4 at this point is a bit silly,
> given the scope of code and impact of the patch.

You already got an answer to this question, and you replied:

    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-07/msg00167.php

If you want it in 8.3 you are going to need some community members to
take ownership of the patch, take responsibility for it, testing it, etc,
and argue that a feature addition that arrived in July should be added.
Not impossible, but you are going to need advocates for this.

Re: pg_dump --no-tablespaces patch

From
Andrew Dunstan

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> If you want it in 8.3 you are going to need some community members to
> take ownership of the patch, take responsibility for it, testing it, etc,
> and argue that a feature addition that arrived in July should be added.
> Not impossible, but you are going to need advocates for this.

At this stage we should be kicking things out of the list, not adding to
it, IMNSHO. It really doesn't look to me like HOT is ready, from what I
can see of the discussion, and desirable as it is I think it should
probably wait.

Just my USD0.02 worth.

cheers

andrew

Re: pg_dump --no-tablespaces patch

Date:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > If you want it in 8.3 you are going to need some community members to
> > take ownership of the patch, take responsibility for it, testing it, etc,
> > and argue that a feature addition that arrived in July should be added.
> > Not impossible, but you are going to need advocates for this.
> >

> At this stage we should be kicking things out of the list, not adding to
> it, IMNSHO. It really doesn't look to me like HOT is ready, from what I
> can see of the discussion, and desirable as it is I think it should
> probably wait.

Are you saying HOT should wait or --no-tablespaces?

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>>> If you want it in 8.3 you are going to need some community members to
>>> take ownership of the patch, take responsibility for it, testing it, etc,
>>> and argue that a feature addition that arrived in July should be added.
>>> Not impossible, but you are going to need advocates for this.
>>>

>> At this stage we should be kicking things out of the list, not adding to
>> it, IMNSHO. It really doesn't look to me like HOT is ready, from what I
>> can see of the discussion, and desirable as it is I think it should
>> probably wait.
>>

> Are you saying HOT should wait or --no-tablespaces?

--no-tablespaces definitely, HOT too unless there is a short clear path
to committal (which seems unlikely given the tenor of the discussions).

cheers

andrew

Re: pg_dump --no-tablespaces patch

Date:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >> At this stage we should be kicking things out of the list, not adding to
> >> it, IMNSHO. It really doesn't look to me like HOT is ready, from what I
> >> can see of the discussion, and desirable as it is I think it should
> >> probably wait.
> >>

> > Are you saying HOT should wait or --no-tablespaces?
> >

> --no-tablespaces definitely,

Agreed.

> HOT too unless there is a short clear path
> to committal (which seems unlikely given the tenor of the discussions).

You can't expect something like HOT to hit the mark 100% on its first
review.  If we expected 100%, nothing complex would get applied.  We
have a few weeks for HOT to mature now that it has feedback from Tom.

Re: pg_dump --no-tablespaces patch

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: pg_dump --no-tablespaces patch

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> >> HOT too unless there is a short clear path
> >> to committal (which seems unlikely given the tenor of the discussions).
> >
> > You can't expect something like HOT to hit the mark 100% on its first
> > review.
>
> Aren't we on review 14?

We are on versoin 14 that they generated with Heikki's feedback and
others, but no Tom's.

Re: pg_dump --no-tablespaces patch

Date:
"Gavin M. Roy" <gmr@myyearbook.com> writes:
> This is the patch I proposed on hackers to make pg_dump optionally ignore
> tablespaces.  The patch is against 8.2.4.  If I should be applying it to CVS
> head or what not, please let me know (along with any thoughts, concerns or
> issues).

Applied with minor fixes and addition of documentation.

            regards, tom lane