Re: [DOCS] rename of a view

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Sat, Jun 30, 2007 at 01:48:51AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> > For the ALTER SEQUENCE case, I think it's also a little weird to
> > have an ALTER SEQUENCE command that modifies some of the
> > properties of a sequence, but not the sequence's name. While that
> > argument doesn't apply to ALTER VIEW at the moment, recent history
> > suggests that it may only be a matter of time before we need to
> > add an ALTER VIEW command anyway...
>
> OK, that's a fairly convincing argument.  Fire away.
>
> (I'm still not sure you found all the relevant places in the
> documentation, however.)

Here's a new patch + file.  This one allows ALTER [SEQUENCE | VIEW] to
work only on the respective database objects, but permits the old
ALTER TABLE syntax.

Cheers,
David.
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!
Consider donating to PostgreSQL: http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Attachment

Re: [DOCS] rename of a view

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 12:55 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> Here's a new patch + file.  This one allows ALTER [SEQUENCE | VIEW] to
> work only on the respective database objects, but permits the old
> ALTER TABLE syntax.

How about taking a look at the more thorough documentation updates Tom
suggested?

-Neil

Re: [DOCS] rename of a view

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 09:03:45PM -0700, Neil Conway wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 12:55 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> > Here's a new patch + file.  This one allows ALTER [SEQUENCE | VIEW] to
> > work only on the respective database objects, but permits the old
> > ALTER TABLE syntax.
>
> How about taking a look at the more thorough documentation updates Tom
> suggested?

So far I've documented it in the index, the references, and in psql's
tab completion.  What other places would you suggest I look?

Date:
On Sun, 2007-07-01 at 12:55 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
> Here's a new patch + file.  This one allows ALTER [SEQUENCE | VIEW] to
> work only on the respective database objects, but permits the old
> ALTER TABLE syntax.

Applied with some fixes. Thanks for the patch. ALTER VIEW ... SET SCHEMA
might be another worthwhile thing to add, for consistency.

-Neil

Re: [DOCS] rename of a view

Date:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> On Sun, 2007-07-01 at 12:55 -0700, David Fetter wrote:
>> Here's a new patch + file.  This one allows ALTER [SEQUENCE | VIEW] to
>> work only on the respective database objects, but permits the old
>> ALTER TABLE syntax.

> Applied with some fixes. Thanks for the patch. ALTER VIEW ... SET SCHEMA
> might be another worthwhile thing to add, for consistency.

Er, was this on the agenda for 8.3?

            regards, tom lane

Re: [DOCS] rename of a view

From
Neil Conway
Date:
> Er, was this on the agenda for 8.3?

Well, it seemed fairly harmless to me (no behavioral changes and very
little new code, just syntax), so I didn't see a compelling reason to
delay applying it for a few months. But I can revert it if you'd prefer.

-Neil

Re: [DOCS] rename of a view

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Date:
Neil Conway wrote:
>> Er, was this on the agenda for 8.3?
>
> Well, it seemed fairly harmless to me (no behavioral changes and very
> little new code, just syntax), so I didn't see a compelling reason to
> delay applying it for a few months. But I can revert it if you'd prefer.

hmm so now we have ALTER VIEW/SEQUENCE commands that can do a bit but
not all of what ALTER TABLE can do (renaming columns of a VIEW or
changing the owner for example).
I agree in principle that having those functionality in ALTER
VIEW/SEQUENCE is a good idea but only bringing in a bit of the required
functionality which still does not solve the "uhm why do I need ALTER
TABLE to manipulate a VIEW" months after the feature freeze sounds a bit
wrong to me :-(

Stefan

Re: [DOCS] rename of a view

Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
> Neil Conway wrote:
>> On Mon, 2007-02-07 at 23:13 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Er, was this on the agenda for 8.3?
>>
>> Well, it seemed fairly harmless to me (no behavioral changes and very
>> little new code, just syntax), so I didn't see a compelling reason to
>> delay applying it for a few months. But I can revert it if you'd prefer.

> hmm so now we have ALTER VIEW/SEQUENCE commands that can do a bit but
> not all of what ALTER TABLE can do (renaming columns of a VIEW or
> changing the owner for example).
> I agree in principle that having those functionality in ALTER
> VIEW/SEQUENCE is a good idea but only bringing in a bit of the required
> functionality which still does not solve the "uhm why do I need ALTER
> TABLE to manipulate a VIEW" months after the feature freeze sounds a bit
> wrong to me :-(

What's bothering me here is failure to focus.  We are not in development
mode today, and have not been for months.  What we need to be doing is
wrapping up the patches that are already on the to-do list, not
expending developer effort on new stuff.  Neil, according to
http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Todo:PatchStatus
you have accepted two patches to review --- what is happening with
those?

            regards, tom lane

Re: [DOCS] rename of a view

From
Neil Conway
Date:
> Neil, according to
> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Todo:PatchStatus
> you have accepted two patches to review --- what is happening with
> those?

Yeah, sorry, forgot about those -- I'll take a look at them tonight.

-Neil