vacuumdb cancel handler

From
ITAGAKI Takahiro
Date:
Hello,

I found vacuumdb, reindexdb and clusterdb don't have cancel handlers.
The server continues to process commands when we press Ctrl+C on those
client programs, though they exit. Therefore, "psql -c VACUUM" and Ctrl+C
works well, but vacuumdb and Ctrl+C does not.

I borrowed the cancel handler from psql and add it into vacuumdb, reindexdb
and clusterdb. Other programs in src/bin/scripts also have the same problem,
but I think it is worth porting only for maintenance commands because they
take long time.

This bug (or spec?) exists in 7.4, 8.0, 8.1 and 8.2. Those commands
were wrappers of psql at 7.3 and we rewrote them into C programs at 7.4.
We might forget to port the feature then.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center

Attachment

Re: vacuumdb cancel handler

Date:

and approves it.

ITAGAKI Takahiro wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found vacuumdb, reindexdb and clusterdb don't have cancel handlers.
> The server continues to process commands when we press Ctrl+C on those
> client programs, though they exit. Therefore, "psql -c VACUUM" and Ctrl+C
> works well, but vacuumdb and Ctrl+C does not.
>
> I borrowed the cancel handler from psql and add it into vacuumdb, reindexdb
> and clusterdb. Other programs in src/bin/scripts also have the same problem,
> but I think it is worth porting only for maintenance commands because they
> take long time.
>
> This bug (or spec?) exists in 7.4, 8.0, 8.1 and 8.2. Those commands
> were wrappers of psql at 7.3 and we rewrote them into C programs at 7.4.
> We might forget to port the feature then.
>
> Regards,
> ---
> ITAGAKI Takahiro
> NTT Open Source Software Center