Concurrent connections in psql patch

From
Gregory Stark
Date:

> stark wrote:
>
> > So I hacked psql to issue queries asynchronously and allow multiple
> > database connections. That way you can switch connections while a blocked
> > or slow transaction is still running and issue queries in other
> > transactions.
>
> [snip]
>
> Can you please put the patch up somewhere so people can see what's involved?

As promised:

--
  Gregory Stark

Re: Concurrent connections in psql patch

Date:
Is this something people are interested in?  I am thinking no based on
the lack of requests and the size of the patch.

Gregory Stark wrote:

> > stark wrote:
> >
> > > So I hacked psql to issue queries asynchronously and allow multiple
> > > database connections. That way you can switch connections while a blocked
> > > or slow transaction is still running and issue queries in other
> > > transactions.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Can you please put the patch up somewhere so people can see what's involved?
>
> As promised:

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

  Bruce Momjian   bruce@momjian.us

Date:

> Is this something people are interested in?  I am thinking no based on
> the lack of requests and the size of the patch.

Lack of requests? I was actually surprised by how enthusiastically people
reacted to it.

However I don't think the patch as is is ready to be committed. Aside from
missing documentation and regression tests it was only intended to be a
proof-of-concept and to be useful for specific tests I was doing.

I did try to do a decent job, I got \timing and server-tracked variables like
encoding. But I need to go back through the code and make sure there are no
other details like that.

It would be nice to get feedback from other developers from looking at the
patch to confirm that there aren't more fundamental problems with the approach
and how it uses libpq before I go through the effort of cleaning up the
details.

--
  Gregory Stark

Re: Concurrent connections in psql patch

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Sun, Sep 03, 2006 at 05:09:44PM -0400, Gregory Stark wrote:

> > Is this something people are interested in?  I am thinking no
> > based on the lack of requests and the size of the patch.
>
> Lack of requests? I was actually surprised by how enthusiastically
> people reacted to it.

I think it could form the basis of some concurrency testing, something
we'll need more and more as time goes on. :)

Gregory,

Would you be up for getting this updated in the 8.3 cycle?