Clarify use of NOW() in pl/pgsql docs

From
David Fetter
Date:
Folks,

This one from Ben Calvert.  It uses the (imho clearer) NOW() rather
than 'NOW' in a PL/PgSQL function example.

phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Attachment

Re: Clarify use of NOW() in pl/pgsql docs

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 02:28 -0800, David Fetter wrote:
> This one from Ben Calvert.  It uses the (imho clearer) NOW() rather
> than 'NOW' in a PL/PgSQL function example.

Applied, thanks.

-Neil

Re: Clarify use of NOW() in pl/pgsql docs

From
Michael Glaesemann
Date:
On Feb 10, 2005, at 14:00, Neil Conway wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 02:28 -0800, David Fetter wrote:
>> This one from Ben Calvert.  It uses the (imho clearer) NOW() rather
>> than 'NOW' in a PL/PgSQL function example.
>
> Applied, thanks.

I realize it's a bit late, but it might not be a bad idea to use
CURRENT_TIMESTAMP rather than NOW(), as it's per SQL spec.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com

Re: Clarify use of NOW() in pl/pgsql docs

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
>>This one from Ben Calvert.  It uses the (imho clearer) NOW() rather
>>than 'NOW' in a PL/PgSQL function example.
>

> Applied, thanks.

Why not use CURRENT_TIMSTAMP instead of NOW() everywhere in the docs.  I
mean, it's standard and NOW() isn't...

Chris

Date:
On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 16:32 +0900, Michael Glaesemann wrote:
> I realize it's a bit late, but it might not be a bad idea to use
> CURRENT_TIMESTAMP rather than NOW(), as it's per SQL spec.

I can't say I can get very excited about it; someone is free to submit a
patch if they like.

-Neil

Re: Clarify use of NOW() in pl/pgsql docs

Date:
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 16:32 +0900, Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>> I realize it's a bit late, but it might not be a bad idea to use
>> CURRENT_TIMESTAMP rather than NOW(), as it's per SQL spec.

> I can't say I can get very excited about it; someone is free to submit a
> patch if they like.

Considering that the example in question is embedded in the 100%-not-SQL-
standard language plpgsql, I can't get excited about this either.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Clarify use of NOW() in pl/pgsql docs

From
Peter Eisentraut
Tom Lane wrote:
> Considering that the example in question is embedded in the
> 100%-not-SQL- standard language plpgsql, I can't get excited about
> this either.

I was under the impression that our PL/pgSQL is at least partially an
attempt to implement SQL:2003, part 4.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Clarify use of NOW() in pl/pgsql docs

Date:
> I was under the impression that our PL/pgSQL is at least partially an
> attempt to implement SQL:2003, part 4.

No, it's an attempt to emulate Oracle's PL/SQL.  Any similarity to spec
documents dated later than the original creation of plpgsql (1998) is
quite accidental...

            regards, tom lane