Returning multiple cursors from PL/PgSQL

From
David Fetter
Date:
Folks,

Please find attached an example that allows people to return multiple
named refcursors from a function.  Big kudos to Kris Jurka for
figuring this out and pasting to rafb :)

phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Attachment

Re: Returning multiple cursors from PL/PgSQL

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 09:33:30PM -0800, David Fetter wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Please find attached an example that allows people to return multiple
> named refcursors from a function.  Big kudos to Kris Jurka for
> figuring this out and pasting to rafb :)

Oops.  Joe Conway pointed out that this patch could be more succinct
and not create an essentially useless new type.

Please find attached the revised patch.

Date:
On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 01:44:58PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> >> Please find attached an example that allows people to return multiple
> >> named refcursors from a function.  Big kudos to Kris Jurka for
> >> figuring this out and pasting to rafb :)
>
> > Oops.  Joe Conway pointed out that this patch could be more succinct
> > and not create an essentially useless new type.
>
> I think the example is pretty confusing, or at least not compelling,
> since it's not clear to the reader why you'd go to all that trouble
> to return two scalars.  The cursors ought to return rowsets.
> Maybe
>
> +     OPEN $1 FOR SELECT * FROM table1;
> +     RETURN NEXT $1;
> +     OPEN $2 FOR SELECT * FROM table2;
> +     RETURN NEXT $2;
>
>             regards, tom lane

Good point.  Next patch attached :)

Date:

Date:
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> Please find attached an example that allows people to return multiple
> named refcursors from a function.  Big kudos to Kris Jurka for
> figuring this out and pasting to rafb :)

Applied the latest version of this.

            regards, tom lane