Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] [BUGS] Win32 deadlock detection not working for Postgres8beta1

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> > [ fix broken CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS macro ]
>
> Applied.  I see how this might change detection of
> statement_timeout, but I do not actually see what it's got to
> do with deadlock detection.
> In the deadlock situation the process that needs to wake up
> is going to be blocked on a semaphore, and so it's not going
> to be executing CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS at all.  How does this
> fix that case?

It doesn't. This is why the second version of the patch was required,
per http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2004-09/msg00039.php.
It even specifically says this is so it fixes the deadlock issues and
not just statement_timeout :-)

//Magnus

"Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
>> How does this fix that case?

> It doesn't. This is why the second version of the patch was required,
> per http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2004-09/msg00039.php.

Okay, I've applied the right version of the patch now ;-)

            regards, tom lane