smgr cleanup

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Hackers,

This patch removes a couple of no-ops.  I'm trying to get rid of unused
code that is in the transaction processing path.

Unrelated: it also adds an index term to the performance tips chapter.

The smgrcommit and smgrabort functions no longer do anything useful so I
removed them.  We could argue that a hypotethical future storage manager
could do something at commit/abort so the hooks are needed, but we
haven't had a different storage manager for years.

If there are no objections, please apply.

"Pensar que el espectro que vemos es ilusorio no lo despoja de espanto,
sólo le suma el nuevo terror de la locura" (Perelandra, CSLewis)

Attachment

Re: smgr cleanup

Date:
> This patch removes a couple of no-ops.

I object to this change.  The fact that these modules don't currently
need to do anything at commit/abort doesn't mean that they never again
will need to.  In particular I do not like putting in a blanket
assumption that no smgr module will ever need control at these points.

            regards, tom lane