pg_autovacuum patches

From
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Date:
Hello,

I noticed that there have been a few patched submitted for pg_autovacuum
that have not been applied, so I applied them locally and tested them on
my Fedora box.  I am resubmitting them as one single patch.

Included in the attached patch:

Brian Hurt's patch that fixed the truncate bug by referencing a table
oid rather than it's relfilenode.

Craig Boston's patch that fixes crashes on FreeBSD related to
uninitialized variables.

A quick patch by me to remove a log_entry call inside init_table_info()
that was used for debugging by me during development and I left in by
mistake.

Please apply this patch to both HEAD and 7.4.

Thanks much,

Matthew O'Connor

Re: pg_autovacuum patches

From
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Date:
ARRRGGHH.... ok, with patch this time...

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 00:17, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I noticed that there have been a few patched submitted for pg_autovacuum
> that have not been applied, so I applied them locally and tested them on
> my Fedora box.  I am resubmitting them as one single patch.
>
> Included in the attached patch:
>
> Brian Hurt's patch that fixed the truncate bug by referencing a table
> oid rather than it's relfilenode.
>
> Craig Boston's patch that fixes crashes on FreeBSD related to
> uninitialized variables.
>
> A quick patch by me to remove a log_entry call inside init_table_info()
> that was used for debugging by me during development and I left in by
> mistake.
>
> Please apply this patch to both HEAD and 7.4.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Matthew O'Connor

Re: pg_autovacuum patches

From
"Matthew T. O'Connor"
Date:
One more time...  The last patch didn't have the unitialized variables
stuff in it.  Please disregard the previous patch and apply this one.

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 00:34, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> ARRRGGHH.... ok, with patch this time...
>
> On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 00:17, Matthew T. O'Connor wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I noticed that there have been a few patched submitted for pg_autovacuum
> > that have not been applied, so I applied them locally and tested them on
> > my Fedora box.  I am resubmitting them as one single patch.
> >
> > Included in the attached patch:
> >
> > Brian Hurt's patch that fixed the truncate bug by referencing a table
> > oid rather than it's relfilenode.
> >
> > Craig Boston's patch that fixes crashes on FreeBSD related to
> > uninitialized variables.
> >
> > A quick patch by me to remove a log_entry call inside init_table_info()
> > that was used for debugging by me during development and I left in by
> > mistake.
> >
> > Please apply this patch to both HEAD and 7.4.
> >
> > Thanks much,
> >
> > Matthew O'Connor

> >                http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html

Re: pg_autovacuum patches

Date:
"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net> writes:
> I noticed that there have been a few patched submitted for pg_autovacuum
> that have not been applied, so I applied them locally and tested them on
> my Fedora box.  I am resubmitting them as one single patch.

Bruce seems to be vastly behind on tracking the patch queue.  Not sure
why.  But resubmitting existing patches in new combinations isn't gonna
make his life easier when he does start to catch up ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_autovacuum patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net> writes:
> > I noticed that there have been a few patched submitted for pg_autovacuum
> > that have not been applied, so I applied them locally and tested them on
> > my Fedora box.  I am resubmitting them as one single patch.
>
> Bruce seems to be vastly behind on tracking the patch queue.  Not sure
> why.  But resubmitting existing patches in new combinations isn't gonna
> make his life easier when he does start to catch up ...

Yep.  I am completing my Japan speech today.  I thought I would finish
earlier this week, but the xfig diagrams take more time than I thought.

I am going to try to fill the queue tonight and apply it Monday.  I
leave for Japan on Tuesday.

Re: pg_autovacuum patches

From
Neil Conway
Date:
> I am going to try to fill the queue tonight and apply it Monday.  I
> leave for Japan on Tuesday.

Applying a load of patches and then promptly fleeing the country
doesn't sound so wise -- it sounds mighty suspicious, in fact :-)

(At the same time, I can certainly testify that a 3-month long patch
queue makes life more difficult for people like myself. Is there
anything that others could do to reduce the patch application
workload? I'd be willing to volunteer...)

-Neil

Re: pg_autovacuum patches

Date:
Neil Conway wrote:
> > I am going to try to fill the queue tonight and apply it Monday.  I
> > leave for Japan on Tuesday.
>
> Applying a load of patches and then promptly fleeing the country
> doesn't sound so wise -- it sounds mighty suspicious, in fact :-)
>
> (At the same time, I can certainly testify that a 3-month long patch
> queue makes life more difficult for people like myself. Is there
> anything that others could do to reduce the patch application
> workload? I'd be willing to volunteer...)

Not sure.  We can get others to apply them if they want, but I still
have to make sure everything is getting dealt with, unless someone wants
to do that too.

Re: pg_autovacuum patches

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Neil Conway wrote:
> > > I am going to try to fill the queue tonight and apply it Monday.  I
> > > leave for Japan on Tuesday.
> >
> > Applying a load of patches and then promptly fleeing the country
> > doesn't sound so wise -- it sounds mighty suspicious, in fact :-)
> >
> > (At the same time, I can certainly testify that a 3-month long patch
> > queue makes life more difficult for people like myself. Is there
> > anything that others could do to reduce the patch application
> > workload? I'd be willing to volunteer...)
>
> Not sure.  We can get others to apply them if they want, but I still
> have to make sure everything is getting dealt with, unless someone wants
> to do that too.

Actually, most of the delay was from saving stuff until we branched CVS,
but we did that about a month ago, so the month delay was mostly that I
didn't want to start throwing patch discussions into the mailing lists
while we were dealing with final release issue.  The last two week delay
was just that I was too busy.