Alter Table phase 1 -- Please apply to 7.5

From
Rod Taylor
Completes:
        ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN does not honour DEFAULT and non-CHECK
        CONSTRAINT

        ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN column DEFAULT should fill existing rows
        with DEFAULT value

        ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN column SERIAL doesn't create sequence
        because of the item above

        Previously described reorganization of all ALTER TABLE commands.

Most of the way through column type change. I need to supply a followup
patch which deals with logical attribute numbers.

ALTER TABLE table ALTER [COLUMN] column TYPE type USING expression;

Syntax documentation updates only. Content to come later.

Attachment

Re: Alter Table phase 1 -- Please apply to 7.5

Date:

Rod Taylor wrote:
> Completes:
>         ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN does not honour DEFAULT and non-CHECK
>         CONSTRAINT
>
>         ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN column DEFAULT should fill existing rows
>         with DEFAULT value
>
>         ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN column SERIAL doesn't create sequence
>         because of the item above
>
>         Previously described reorganization of all ALTER TABLE commands.
>
> Most of the way through column type change. I need to supply a followup
> patch which deals with logical attribute numbers.
>
> ALTER TABLE table ALTER [COLUMN] column TYPE type USING expression;
>
> Syntax documentation updates only. Content to come later.

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Date:
Rod Taylor wrote:
> Completes:
>         ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN does not honour DEFAULT and non-CHECK
>         CONSTRAINT
>
>         ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN column DEFAULT should fill existing rows
>         with DEFAULT value
>
>         ALTER TABLE ADD COLUMN column SERIAL doesn't create sequence
>         because of the item above
>
>         Previously described reorganization of all ALTER TABLE commands.
>
> Most of the way through column type change. I need to supply a followup
> patch which deals with logical attribute numbers.
>
> ALTER TABLE table ALTER [COLUMN] column TYPE type USING expression;
>
> Syntax documentation updates only. Content to come later.

Tom has looked over this patch and wants to make some adjustments before
applying so I will keep this in my queue and wait for him to complete
his changes and get it into CVS.

Thanks.

Re: Alter Table phase 1 -- Please apply to 7.5

Date:
Patch applied with adjustments by Tom.  Thanks.