postgresql 7.3 + IPv6 patch

From
Nigel Kukard
Date:
Hi Guys,

Firstly i'm not subscribed, so please CC any feedback.

We have just finished porting the old KAME IPv6 patch over to
postgresql version 7.3, but yea... this patch adds full IPv6
support to postgres. I've tested it out on 7.2.3 and has
been running perfectly stable.

CREDITS:
 The KAME Project  (Initial patch)
 Nigel Kukard  <nkukard@lbsd.net>
 Johan Jordaan  <johanj@lando.co.za>

The attached patch is against HEAD (2002/11/29)

The patch for 7.3 can be found at www.lbsd.net/ipv6/

Kind Regards
Nigel Kukard

Attachment

Re: postgresql 7.3 + IPv6 patch

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 02:35, Nigel Kukard wrote:
> We have just finished porting the old KAME IPv6 patch over to
> postgresql version 7.3, but yea... this patch adds full IPv6
> support to postgres. I've tested it out on 7.2.3 and has
> been running perfectly stable.

A few quibbles (which should not be construed as implying that
"everything else is good", I was just skimming).

'configure' and 'src/backend/libpq/Makefile' are both derived files; any
necessary changes should be made to 'configure.in' and 'Makefile.in',
respectively.

// comments are not portable (in theory, anyway).

+ /**
+  *  isAF_INETx - check sa is  wheter (AF_INET or AF_INET&) or not
+  *
+  *  @args   (IN) sa : SockAddr union
+  *  @return   :    if sa->sa.sa_famil is AF_INET or AF_INET6 then
+  *                   return 1
+  *                 else
+  *                   return 0
+  */

There are grammatical errors in the function description; also, we don't
use doxygen, if that's what the markup in the comment header is.

We use '(void)' in the function signature for functions that take no
arguments, not '()'.

Disabling existing code with '#if 0' will obviously need to be changed
before the patch is applied. More generally, does that patch make any
provision for systems that don't yet support IPv6? If not, that seems a
serious drawback...

Cheers,

Neil

Re: postgresql 7.3 + IPv6 patch

From
Nigel Kukard
Date:
Updated patch attached...

> A few quibbles (which should not be construed as implying that
> "everything else is good", I was just skimming).

understood... thanks for the advice...

> 'configure' and 'src/backend/libpq/Makefile' are both derived files; any
> necessary changes should be made to 'configure.in' and 'Makefile.in',
> respectively.

fixed

> // comments are not portable (in theory, anyway).

fixed

> + /**
> +  *  isAF_INETx - check sa is  wheter (AF_INET or AF_INET&) or not
> +  *
> +  *  @args   (IN) sa : SockAddr union
> +  *  @return   :    if sa->sa.sa_famil is AF_INET or AF_INET6 then
> +  *                   return 1
> +  *                 else
> +  *                   return 0
> +  */

fixed

> There are grammatical errors in the function description; also, we don't
> use doxygen, if that's what the markup in the comment header is.

fixed

> We use '(void)' in the function signature for functions that take no
> arguments, not '()'.

can't find anywhere i've used ()

> Disabling existing code with '#if 0' will obviously need to be changed
> before the patch is applied. More generally, does that patch make any

fixed

> provision for systems that don't yet support IPv6? If not, that seems a
> serious drawback...

i've tested it out on pure ipv4 based boxen, can you maybe test it out
there aswell?

--

Nigel Kukard  (Chief Executive Officer)
Lando Technologies Africa (Pty) Ltd

  The best language to use is the language that was designed for
         what you want to use it for - 1997

Disclaimer
----------
The contents of this message and any attachments are intended
solely for the addressee's use and may be legally privileged and/or
confidential information. This message may not be retained,
distributed, copied or used if you are not he addressee of this
message. If this message was sent to you in error, please notify
the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then destroy the message
and any copies thereof.

Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message may be
personal to the sender and is not that of Lando Technologies Africa
or any of it's subsideries, associated companies or principals and
is therefore not endorsed by any of the Lando groups of companies.
Due to e-maill communication being insecure, Lando groups of
companies do not guarantee confidentiality, security, accuracy or
performance of the e-mail. Any liability for viruses is excluded
to the fullest extent.

Attachment

Re: postgresql 7.3 + IPv6 patch

From
Nigel Kukard
Date:
> > We use '(void)' in the function signature for functions that take no
> > arguments, not '()'.
> >

> can't find anywhere i've used ()

fixed

--

Date:
Nigel Kukard <nkukard@lbsd.net> writes:
> We have just finished porting the old KAME IPv6 patch over to
> postgresql version 7.3, but yea... this patch adds full IPv6
> support to postgres.

Is this the same patch that we rejected a year or so back because it
altered the painfully-agreed-to I/O behavior of the inet datatypes?

            regards, tom lane

Re: postgresql 7.3 + IPv6 patch

From
Nigel Kukard
Date:
If it does in anyway modify any datatypes it shouldn't, please let me
know and i'll have it repaired.

Regards
Nigel Kukard

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002, Tom Lane wrote:

> Nigel Kukard <nkukard@lbsd.net> writes:
> > We have just finished porting the old KAME IPv6 patch over to
> > postgresql version 7.3, but yea... this patch adds full IPv6
> > support to postgres.
>
> Is this the same patch that we rejected a year or so back because it
> altered the painfully-agreed-to I/O behavior of the inet datatypes?
>
>             regards, tom lane

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: postgresql 7.3 + IPv6 patch

Date:
Nigel Kukard <nkukard@lbsd.net> writes:
> If it does in anyway modify any datatypes it shouldn't, please let me
> know and i'll have it repaired.

Oh, I see: this is for client connections over IPv6.  I was confusing it
with a patch that changed the inet datatypes to be IPv6-aware ... a
totally different thing.  Sorry for the noise.

            regards, tom lane

Re: postgresql 7.3 + IPv6 patch

Date:

Nigel Kukard wrote:
> > > We use '(void)' in the function signature for functions that take no
> > > arguments, not '()'.
> > >

> > can't find anywhere i've used ()
> >

> fixed
>

> --
>

> Nigel Kukard  (Chief Executive Officer)
> Lando Technologies Africa (Pty) Ltd
> nigel@lando.co.za   www.lando.co.za
> Tel: 083 399 5822  Fax: 086 1100036
> Hoheisen Park Bellville,  Cape Town
> National  Internet Service Provider
>

>   The best language to use is the language that was designed for
>          what you want to use it for - 1997

> Disclaimer
> ----------
> The contents of this message and any attachments are intended
> solely for the addressee's use and may be legally privileged and/or
> confidential information. This message may not be retained,
> distributed, copied or used if you are not he addressee of this
> message. If this message was sent to you in error, please notify
> the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then destroy the message
> and any copies thereof.
>
> Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message may be
> personal to the sender and is not that of Lando Technologies Africa
> or any of it's subsideries, associated companies or principals and
> is therefore not endorsed by any of the Lando groups of companies.
> Due to e-maill communication being insecure, Lando groups of
> companies do not guarantee confidentiality, security, accuracy or
> performance of the e-mail. Any liability for viruses is excluded
> to the fullest extent.

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

> http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: postgresql 7.3 + IPv6 patch

Date:
This is the actual patch applied.  Thanks.