doc/src/FAQ/FAQ.html changes

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

I found an error in the FAQ ("IS NULLIS NOT NULL") while reading
it as 'more FAQ', so I took a look at doc/src/FAQ/FAQ.html and
found a few[1] more. I've ordered them in rough order of
importance, from glaring typos all the way down to proposed
XHTML compliance. Specific questions I have are denoted
with a "* ??". Rather than attaching the whole file, I'll
just give a URL and attach a finalized version if required
later. Feel free to ask me for a subset of the below changes
if need be.

http://www.gtsm.com/postgres/FAQ.html

* 4.14: Fixed typo in answer (IS NULLIS NOT NULL).

* 4.24: Changed href="#4.25" to "name=4.25" in the answer.

* 2.2: Replaced "use" with "using" so the Q & A match.

* 5.4: Changed hyperlink text to 5.4 from 5.3

* 1.9: Fixed the hyperlink for "TODO" to point to the
  correct (?) place.

* ?? 1.10: The link to the SQL tutorial at
  http://w3.one.net/~jhoffman/sqltut.htm is dead. I found
  another copy at
  http://www.intermedia.net/support/sql/sqltut.shtm
  an put that in: but perhaps we should mirror our own copy,
  if the author agrees?

* 3.9: Added double quotes so the Q & A match.

* 4.3, 4.6, 4.18, 4.19, 4.20, 4.21, 4.22, 4.23:
  Removed <BR> from answer, before </H4>

* 4.15.2: Changed "$newSerialID" to "new_id" to match example
  above it.

* replaced <H6> with <P><STRONG>

* 4.15.2: Stripped the "to to" from the paragraph. :)

* 4.5: Changed wording of question a little.

* 3.9: Better phrasing of the question.

* 4.19: Reworded to a single question, quoted error message,
  moved puncuation outside HTML.

* 1.2: Changed copyright from 2001 to 2002

* 1.4: Hyperlinked "MS Windows FAQ" to
  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq-mswin.html

* Many places: fixed incorrect possessive apostrophes, including:
  DBMS's
  CPU's
  fsync()'s
  assert()'s
  R-tree's
  OID</SMALL>'s

* </P> tag added where missing: 1.15 (x4), 4.12

* 1.1: Added "how is it pronounced?" to the question itself.
  Moved pronounciation answer to the top of the answer section.

* 1.13 Replaced vague reference to a "bug-template" file
  with a hyperlink to:
  http://www.postgresql.org/bugs/bugs.php. Also removed
  the mailto:bugs link to encourage people to read the
  guidelines and use the online form. By the way, that
  page needs to have <title> tags.

* 1.2: Expanded contraction of what's.

* Changed references to "the postmaster" to simply "postmaster",
  since we are emphasizing that this is a program in italics,
  such as psql. Perhaps change to "the <I>postmaster</I> program"
  if the "the" is really desired.

* 2.1: Changed the ODBC hyperlink from
  http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/programmer/odbc.html
  to:
  http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/odbc.html

* 2.2: Changed the link regarding "Database-backed Web pages"
  from
  http://www.webtools.com
  to:
  http://www.webreview.com
  as the former simply refreshes to the latter with a meta
  directive.

* ?? 3.5: Moved this paragraph:
  database access.</p> to question 3.4. Is this where it goes?

* ?? 3.3 Hyperlinked the words "PostgreSQL Administrator's Guide" to:
  http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?kernel-resources.html
  Is there a preferred non-interactive version?

* Various: made "unix" consistently "Unix" (also "non-Unix")

* ?? Various: changed "indices" to "indexes". There were about an
  even number of each, so I flipped a coin. Will this hot issue
  ever get decided? :)

* 4.15.1: Removed strange link to Bruce's book:
  "http://www.PostgreSQL.org/docs/aw_pgsql_book">Numbering
  Rows.</a></p>

* Replaced deprecated CENTER tag with align="center"

* Make "web site" capitalization consistent.

* 4.15.2: Separated non-command word "after" from italics.

* 1.6,1.8,1.15: Moved "href" to its own line, this helps the
  display of plain text (e.g. using 'more FAQ')

* 3.1: Moved question mark outside html

* 3.7,3.8: Moved 's' outside html

* (14 places): Moved comma outside html

* 4.18: Moved colon outside html

* (13 places): Moved period outside html

* 4.15.1 Separated possesive apostrophe from html

* 4.19: Removed extra space

* 4.16: Changed Tids to T<small>ID</small>s to match the first
  one in the paragraph.

* ?? 4.19: Can we not just say something similar to:
  "use the SQL command 'select version();'"
   as this is not a psql specific?

* 1.14: Expanded "don't" and "doesn't", added link to section 1.6

* Fixed some line wrapping differences in questions and answers

* 1.4: Put "psql" inside italics

* 4.12: Fixed spacing difference between question and answer.

* ?? 1.14: The page linked to:
  http://openacs.org/why-not-mysql.html
  which compares mySQL and postgreSQL, is almost 2 years old
  now, and, as the disclaimer at the top states, is not really
  fair to mySQL due to its age. Perhaps a newer comparison
  could be found?

* 1.11: Added spaces before "AD" and "BC"

* 3.7: expanded "you've"

* ?? 1.15: Changed "five years" to "six years" in honor of the
  new year. Is this accurate?

* 4.5: Put spaces before "TB" and "GB" as needed.

* 3.3, 4.6: Added space before MB.

* 2.1: Changed "Questions to x" to "Please send questions to x"

* 3.7: Changed "a lot of" to "many." Added a comma after "Also".
  Changed "ie, " to "i.e. "

* 1.12: high-quality does not need a hyphen to emphasis the
  relationship (changed to "high quality")

* ?? 2.2: The link to
  http://www.phone.net/home/mwm/hotlist/
  seems to be down as I write this, but I cannot determine if
  this is temporary or permanent. If it is still down by the
  time this is read, we may want to remove this link.

* ?? The text version seems to have a lot of blank lines which
  I had to strip out to get it to match the outout of
  lynx -dump -nolink FAQ.html. For example, the third line
  of doc/FAQ has 40 blank lines. Why is this?

* ?? 2.3 capitalizes 'pgaccess' at the start of a sentence,
  while 'psql' is not in 1.8. Removed caps from 2.3, but
  not sure if this is correct. I leaned towards having the
  exact spelling overriding the sentence capitalization.

* Put all tags in lowercase for xhtml compliance,
  added new DOCTYPE and html tags.

* ?? Perhaps define DBMS somewhere?

* ?? 4.10 It says:
  "In theory, R-trees can be extended to handle higher number
   of dimensions. In practice, extending R-trees requires a bit
   of work and we don't currently have any documentation on how
   to do it"
  Is this what they are working on here?:
  http://rplustree.sourceforge.net/

[1] Okay, maybe more than a few. I was on a roll...

Greg Sabino Mullane
greg@turnstep.com
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200201101539

Re: doc/src/FAQ/FAQ.html changes

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Greg Sabino Mullane writes:

> I found an error in the FAQ ("IS NULLIS NOT NULL") while reading
> it as 'more FAQ', so I took a look at doc/src/FAQ/FAQ.html and
> found a few[1] more.

Bruce, don't we want to put the FAQ into DocBook, so half the formatting
and linking problems are gone?

> * ?? 1.10: The link to the SQL tutorial at
>   http://w3.one.net/~jhoffman/sqltut.htm is dead. I found
>   another copy at
>   http://www.intermedia.net/support/sql/sqltut.shtm
>   an put that in: but perhaps we should mirror our own copy,
>   if the author agrees?

We have our own SQL tutorial actually.

> * 2.1: Changed the ODBC hyperlink from
>   http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/programmer/odbc.html
>   to:
>   http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/odbc.html

Not really a good idea.

> * ?? Various: changed "indices" to "indexes". There were about an
>   even number of each, so I flipped a coin. Will this hot issue
>   ever get decided? :)

It's "indices" when talking about an array or field index, and it's
"indexes" when concerning the index at the end of a book or a database

Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: doc/src/FAQ/FAQ.html changes

Date:
Wow, I was laughing all through this.  You had so many good points I
started to think the FAQ was maintained by a monkey, and that monkey was
me.  :-)

I agree with all your changes, except a few.  Let me list those few:

> * 1.9: Fixed the hyperlink for "TODO" to point to the
>   correct (?) place.

I used to run linkchecker on the FAQ but haven't since the web site
redesign.  Nice catches.

> * ?? 1.10: The link to the SQL tutorial at
>   http://w3.one.net/~jhoffman/sqltut.htm is dead. I found
>   another copy at
>   http://www.intermedia.net/support/sql/sqltut.shtm
>   an put that in: but perhaps we should mirror our own copy,
>   if the author agrees?

That old URL goes in and out of visibility.  Let's keep the new one.  I
don't think we can mirror it ourselves.  Let's see if the new URL stays.

> * Many places: fixed incorrect possessive apostrophes, including:
>   DBMS's
>   CPU's
>   fsync()'s
>   assert()'s
>   R-tree's
>   OID</SMALL>'s

Yes, I get that confused for some reason;  don't know why I do it.

> * 1.13 Replaced vague reference to a "bug-template" file
>   with a hyperlink to:
>   http://www.postgresql.org/bugs/bugs.php. Also removed
>   the mailto:bugs link to encourage people to read the
>   guidelines and use the online form. By the way, that
>   page needs to have <title> tags.

CC'ing webmaster --- Vince?

> * ?? 3.5: Moved this paragraph:
>   database access.</p> to question 3.4. Is this where it goes?

Yes, copy-paste error.

> * ?? 4.19: Can we not just say something similar to:
>   "use the SQL command 'select version();'"
>    as this is not a psql specific?

Well, it is just better to tell them exactly how to test it.  They can
use other apps too.

> * ?? 1.14: The page linked to:
>   http://openacs.org/why-not-mysql.html
>   which compares mySQL and postgreSQL, is almost 2 years old
>   now, and, as the disclaimer at the top states, is not really
>   fair to mySQL due to its age. Perhaps a newer comparison
>   could be found?

This is a jem that is frequently cited.  Not sure we want to remove it.
Comments?

> * ?? 2.2: The link to
>   http://www.phone.net/home/mwm/hotlist/
>   seems to be down as I write this, but I cannot determine if
>   this is temporary or permanent. If it is still down by the
>   time this is read, we may want to remove this link.

I will check with linkchecker later.

> * ?? The text version seems to have a lot of blank lines which
>   I had to strip out to get it to match the outout of
>   lynx -dump -nolink FAQ.html. For example, the third line
>   of doc/FAQ has 40 blank lines. Why is this?

I don't see that here or in CVS.

> * Put all tags in lowercase for xhtml compliance,
>   added new DOCTYPE and html tags.

Not sure that is a good idea.  I don't want to go out in an advanced
direction with the FAQ, want to make it is simple to render as possible.

I auto-uppercased the tags again to match the HTML version of our docs.
I also found <br /> and <hr /> which htmllint didn't understand and I
have never seen;  changed to <br> and <hr>.

> * ?? Perhaps define DBMS somewhere?
>
> * ?? 4.10 It says:
>   "In theory, R-trees can be extended to handle higher number
>    of dimensions. In practice, extending R-trees requires a bit
>    of work and we don't currently have any documentation on how
>    to do it"
>   Is this what they are working on here?:
>   http://rplustree.sourceforge.net/

That is a C version, quite different from doing it in a db.

Very nice improvments.  You version is now installed as official.

Re: doc/src/FAQ/FAQ.html changes

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Greg Sabino Mullane writes:
>
> > I found an error in the FAQ ("IS NULLIS NOT NULL") while reading
> > it as 'more FAQ', so I took a look at doc/src/FAQ/FAQ.html and
> > found a few[1] more.
>
> Bruce, don't we want to put the FAQ into DocBook, so half the formatting
> and linking problems are gone?

I guess we could.  I am no docbook fan and am concerned about
duplicating some of the stuff I do in HTML.

> > * 2.1: Changed the ODBC hyperlink from
> >   http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/programmer/odbc.html
> >   to:
> >   http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/odbc.html
>
> Not really a good idea.

Old one put back.

Re: doc/src/FAQ/FAQ.html changes

Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > > Bruce, don't we want to put the FAQ into DocBook, so half the formatting
> > > and linking problems are gone?
> >
> > I guess we could.  I am no docbook fan and am concerned about
> > duplicating some of the stuff I do in HTML.
>
> What stuff and why would you have to duplicate it?

Well, I do things like smallcaps and some other stuff.  With HTML I know
how it is going to be rendered, while with SGML, I am never sure ---
even simple stuff like <command> comes out in bold, as you already
observed.

Date:

--

Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> Well, I do things like smallcaps and some other stuff.  With HTML I know
> how it is going to be rendered, while with SGML, I am never sure ---
> even simple stuff like <command> comes out in bold, as you already
> observed.

It comes out the way you tell it to come out.  But the advantage is that
if you mark up all commands as <command> then you can change it to bold,
small, green, or whatever with a single change in the stylesheet.

I wouldn't get hung up on the small caps.  I would get hung up about
having to maintain correct numbering and links, and the formatting not
matching the PostgreSQL documentation or the web site.

--

Date:

>> * ?? The text version seems to have a lot of blank lines which
>>   I had to strip out to get it to match the output of
>>   lynx -dump -nolink FAQ.html. For example, the third line
>>   of doc/FAQ has 40 blank lines. Why is this?

> I don't see that here or in CVS.

I got that from using the web-based cvs:

wget http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/pgsql/doc/FAQ?rev=1.133&content-type=text/plain

[regarding xhtml tags]

> Not sure that is a good idea.  I don't want to go out in an
> advanced direction with the FAQ, want to make it is simple to
> render as possible. I auto-uppercased the tags again to match
> the HTML version of our docs. I also found <br /> and <hr />
> which htmllint didn't understand and I have never seen;
> changed to <br> and <hr>.

They are a XHTML artifact: all tags are required to have a
matching closing tag. To maintain compatibility with older
browsers, the start and end tags are allowed to be combined
into one with the <br /> trick. I'm surprised htmllint
complained about that. The only other major difference is that
all tags must be lowercase. (which is very difficult for me:
after so many years, my fingers automatically type tags in
uppercase!). In the long run, XHTML/XML will actually
allow pages to be more widely accessible, but the world isn't
exactly rushing to embrace XML yet. It was last on my list
anyway. :)

> > * 2.1: Changed the ODBC hyperlink from
> >   http://www.postgresql.org/devel-corner/docs/programmer/odbc.html> >   to:
> >   http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/odbc.html>
>
> Not really a good idea. Old one put back.

So this link is now removed entirely?

> It's "indices" when talking about an array or field index, and
> it's "indexes" when concerning the index at the end of a book
> or a database index.

Thanks for that.

[regarding a better "vs. mySQL" page]

I surfed a little, and here are some links I came up with. Be
careful when searching the web for similar pages: many
comparisons use v6 of postgreSQL :(. I don't know mySQL version
number well enough to know if they do the same, but I suspect
not.

First, a quote from someone on slashdot:

"If you want details of high performance testing, then you need
to visit www.tpc.org. Until I see Postgres up there then this
testing is useless to the business world."

I agree - it sure would be nice if postgreSQL could get included
in the tests. (paging RedHat...)

October 10, 2001
http://www.geocities.com/mailsoftware42/db/
I like this one

September 2001:
http://www.webtechniques.com/archives/2001/09/jepson/
Pretty new. Fairly good, if a little (IMO) apologetic about
some of mySQL's shortcomings at times:
"Although MySQL can't perform subqueries, its temporary tables
can help you mimic subqueries in SELECT statements..."

July 2000:
http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/tim20000705.php3

May 2000:
http://openacs.org/philosophy/why-not-mysql.html
The one currently used, but it's old (and admits it in
bold at the top of the page) and has a huge flame war at
the bottom of the page. Maybe we can as the author to update
it and clean it up a bit?

"mySQL Benchmarks"
http://www.mysql.com/information/benchmarks.html
Lots of colorful graphs, and whining about not getting
vacuum to work reliably.

"Featurewise Comparison of MySQL and PostgreSQL"
http://www.mysql.com/doc/M/y/MySQL-PostgreSQL_features.html
mysql's take on why they are better. Very few are valid.
Matter of fact, they really seem to be reaching on some
of these.

Heh. At the bottom of the page, "Only transactional tables"
is listed as a "drawback" of PostgreSQL!

http://www.epinions.com/content_19552308868
Good user review. There are four others, one of which is
negative.

http://www.devx.com/dbzone/articles/renaker03/renaker03-1.asp
Not sure of the date of this.

And of course, there is the GreatBridge funded study that has
been analyzed to death. That's why something like tpc.org would
be nice.

Greg Sabino Mullane
greg@turnstep.com
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200201121119