syntax warning on

From
Jonathan Bartlett
Date:
I'm just starting to look around the postgres source code.  Anyway, I saw
a few lines about syntax warnings in psql that were ifdefed out because
they were too annoying.  This patch puts it back in, but only gives the
error once per session.

Anyway, I am just looking around at the source code, let me know if you
find little stuff like this useful.

Jon

johnnyb6@sdf.lonestar.org

Re: syntax warning on

Date:

I will try to apply it withing the next 48 hours.

> I'm just starting to look around the postgres source code.  Anyway, I saw
> a few lines about syntax warnings in psql that were ifdefed out because
> they were too annoying.  This patch puts it back in, but only gives the
> error once per session.
>
> Anyway, I am just looking around at the source code, let me know if you
> find little stuff like this useful.
>
> Jon
>
> johnnyb6@sdf.lonestar.org

[ Attachment, skipping... ]

Re: syntax warning on

Date:
> I'd suggest that this patch not be applied at least until we reopen the
> discussion and conclude that raising the annoyance level is A Good
> Thing. The last time we had concluded that the role of the backend was
> not to teach "proper SQL" but to Just Do It.
>
> Complaining once per session does not give the predictable behavior I
> would want.

Removed from unapplied queue.

Re: syntax warning on

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Jonathan Bartlett writes:

> I'm just starting to look around the postgres source code.  Anyway, I saw
> a few lines about syntax warnings in psql that were ifdefed out because
> they were too annoying.  This patch puts it back in, but only gives the
> error once per session.

It was deemed too annoying because it was too annoying.  Making it merely
less annoying is not the solution.  Basically, there is no problem here,
it's fine the way it is.

Re: syntax warning on

Date:
>> I'm just starting to look around the postgres source code.  Anyway, I saw
>> a few lines about syntax warnings in psql that were ifdefed out because
>> they were too annoying.  This patch puts it back in, but only gives the
>> error once per session.

That strikes me as only very slightly less annoying than the original.

The message was removed for a reason, and I don't particularly want to
see it put back (in any form).

            regards, tom lane

Re: syntax warning on

From
Thomas Lockhart
Date:
> Your patch has been added to the PostgreSQL unapplied patches list at:
>         http://candle.pha.pa.us/cgi-bin/pgpatches
> I will try to apply it withing the next 48 hours.
> > I'm just starting to look around the postgres source code.  Anyway, I saw
> > a few lines about syntax warnings in psql that were ifdefed out because
> > they were too annoying.  This patch puts it back in, but only gives the
> > error once per session.

Uh, the warnings were commented out *because they were too annoying*,
but were left in as a placeholder for doing something different later.
I'm not sure that the "something different" should be "annoying only
sometimes" ;)

I'd suggest that this patch not be applied at least until we reopen the
discussion and conclude that raising the annoyance level is A Good
Thing. The last time we had concluded that the role of the backend was
not to teach "proper SQL" but to Just Do It.

Complaining once per session does not give the predictable behavior I
would want.

Comments?

                     - Thomas