Any plans to support SQLDescribeParam (and friends) ?

From
Mads Lindstrøm
Date:
Hi

Previously PsqlODBC did not support SQLDescribeParam (and friends), as
the PostgreSQL backend/frontend protocol did not offer the necessary
support to implement these functions [1]. Or at least, that is how I
understand it.

But with protocol version 3, it should be possible to implement
SQLDescribeParam[2].

Thus my question, is there any plans to support SQLDescribeParam (and
friends) ?

Regards,

Mads Lindstrøm

[1] http://library.pantek.com/Mailing%
20Lists/postgresql.org/pgsql-interfaces/03/03/11602.html

[2]
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/libpq-exec.html#LIBPQ-EXEC-SELECT-INFO search for PQnparams, PQparamtype

Attachment

Re: Any plans to support SQLDescribeParam (and friends) ?

From
Hiroshi Inoue
Date:
Mads Lindstrøm wrote:
> Hi
>
> Previously PsqlODBC did not support SQLDescribeParam (and friends), as
> the PostgreSQL backend/frontend protocol did not offer the necessary
> support to implement these functions [1]. Or at least, that is how I
> understand it.
>
> But with protocol version 3, it should be possible to implement
> SQLDescribeParam[2].
>
> Thus my question, is there any plans to support SQLDescribeParam (and
> friends) ?

You can call SQLDescribeParam() with the current driver when you
check the 7.4+ Protocol option and the Server side prepare option.

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Re: Any plans to support SQLDescribeParam (and friends) ?

From
Mads Lindstrøm
Date:
Hi Hiroshi,

Thank you for the reply.

Hiroshi Inoue wrote:

> Mads Lindstrøm wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Previously PsqlODBC did not support SQLDescribeParam (and friends), as
> > the PostgreSQL backend/frontend protocol did not offer the necessary
> > support to implement these functions [1]. Or at least, that is how I
> > understand it.
> >
> > But with protocol version 3, it should be possible to implement
> > SQLDescribeParam[2].
> >
> > Thus my question, is there any plans to support SQLDescribeParam (and
> > friends) ?
>
> You can call SQLDescribeParam() with the current driver when you
> check the 7.4+ Protocol option and the Server side prepare option.
>
> regards,
> Hiroshi Inoue

Yes, I can call SQLDescribeParam(..), but it always return VarChar, on
SMALLINT, INTEGER, BIGINT and DECIMAL parameters. So I guess I am doing
something wrong.

My odbc.ini looks like:

[MetaHDBC_PQ_DSN]
Description           = PostgreSQL ODBC
Driver                = postgreodbc
Trace                 = No
TraceFile             =
Database                = MetaHDBC_DB
Servername              = localhost
UserName                = metahdbc
Password                = foobar
Port                    = 5432
Protocol                = 8.3
ReadOnly                = No
RowVersioning           = No
ShowSystemTables        = No
ShowOidColumn           = No
FakeOidIndex            = No
ConnSettings            =
#ServerSidePrepare       = Yes
UseServerSidePrepare     = Yes

And the odbcinst.ini looks like:

[postgreodbc]
Description        = PostgreSQL ODBC driver
Driver        = /usr/lib/odbc/psqlodbcw.so
#Setup        = /usr/lib/odbc/libodbcpsqlS.so
Debug        = 0
CommLog        = 1
UsageCount        = 2

Do anybody have an idea of why I only see VarChar when calling
SQLDescribeParam(..) ?

Or any pointers to how I can debug the problem.

I am running on Debian Linux (Lenny) using psqlodbc version
(1:08.03.0200-1) (see
http://packages.debian.org/source/lenny/psqlodbc ).

Regards,

Mads Lindstrøm

Attachment

Re: Any plans to support SQLDescribeParam (and friends) ?

From
Hiroshi Inoue
Date:
Hi Mads,

Mads Lindstrøm wrote:
> Hi Hiroshi,
>
> Thank you for the reply.
>

> Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
>
>> Mads Lindstrøm wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Previously PsqlODBC did not support SQLDescribeParam (and friends), as
>>> the PostgreSQL backend/frontend protocol did not offer the necessary
>>> support to implement these functions [1]. Or at least, that is how I
>>> understand it.
>>>
>>> But with protocol version 3, it should be possible to implement
>>> SQLDescribeParam[2].
>>>
>>> Thus my question, is there any plans to support SQLDescribeParam (and
>>> friends) ?
>> You can call SQLDescribeParam() with the current driver when you
>> check the 7.4+ Protocol option and the Server side prepare option.
>>
>> regards,
>> Hiroshi Inoue
>>

> Yes, I can call SQLDescribeParam(..), but it always return VarChar, on
> SMALLINT, INTEGER, BIGINT and DECIMAL parameters. So I guess I am doing
> something wrong.
>
> My odbc.ini looks like:
>
> [MetaHDBC_PQ_DSN]
> Description           = PostgreSQL ODBC
> Driver                = postgreodbc
> Trace                 = No
> TraceFile             =
> Database                = MetaHDBC_DB
> Servername              = localhost
> UserName                = metahdbc
> Password                = foobar
> Port                    = 5432
> Protocol                = 8.3

Could you try to set
    Protocol = 7.4
?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Re: Any plans to support SQLDescribeParam (and friends) ?

From
Mads Lindstrøm
Date:
Hi Hiroshi,

Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
> >> You can call SQLDescribeParam() with the current driver when you
> >> check the 7.4+ Protocol option and the Server side prepare option.
> >>
> >> regards,
> >> Hiroshi Inoue
> >>

> > Yes, I can call SQLDescribeParam(..), but it always return VarChar, on
> > SMALLINT, INTEGER, BIGINT and DECIMAL parameters. So I guess I am doing
> > something wrong.
> >
> > My odbc.ini looks like:
> >
> > [MetaHDBC_PQ_DSN]
> > Description           = PostgreSQL ODBC