odbc silently dropping national characters in CP1250 encoding

From
Dragan Matic
Date:
I have a LATIN2 database on the server side and a Postgresql ANSI odbc
connection on the client side (windows xp sp2, latest odbc driver,
version 8.03.04.00)

when I try inserting something like this:

insert into sample_table (sample_column) values ('öüóőúíéáűÍÜÓÖŐÚÉÁŰ')
insert into sample_table (sample_column) values ('čćšđž ČĆŽŠĐ')

and then selecting it, I get the following:

öüóoúíéáuÍÜÓÖOÚÉÁU
ccšdž CCŽŠÐ

So, the characters ő,ű,Ő,Ű,č,ć,đ,Č and Ć have been silently replaced
with o,u,O,U,c,c,d,C and C

the same thing happens when database is created with WIN1250 encoding.

when I try doing the same thing from pgadminIII, everything is OK -
characters are inserted and read properly so I suppose the problem is
somewhere in the ODBC connection. Am I missing some setting or how can
I set this up properly?

Dragan Matic

Re: odbc silently dropping national characters in CP1250 encoding

From
Hiroshi Inoue
Date:
Dragan Matic wrote:
> I have a LATIN2 database on the server side and a Postgresql ANSI odbc
> connection on the client side (windows xp sp2, latest odbc driver,
> version 8.03.04.00)
>
> when I try inserting something like this:
>
> insert into sample_table (sample_column) values ('öüóőúíéáűÍÜÓÖŐÚÉÁŰ')
> insert into sample_table (sample_column) values ('čćšđž ČĆŽŠĐ')
>
> and then selecting it, I get the following:
>
> öüóoúíéáuÍÜÓÖOÚÉÁU
> ccšdž CCŽŠÐ

Could you send me the Mylog output of the operations?

regards,
Hiroshi Inoue

Re: odbc silently dropping national characters in CP1250 encoding

From
Dragan Matic
Date:
Here are mylog and psqlodbc logs for both win1250 and latin2 databases

On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Hiroshi Inoue<inoue@tpf.co.jp> wrote:
> Dragan Matic wrote:
>>
>> I have a LATIN2 database on the server side and a Postgresql ANSI odbc
>> connection on the client side (windows xp sp2, latest odbc driver,
>> version 8.03.04.00)
>>
>> when I try inserting something like this:
>>
>> insert into sample_table (sample_column) values ('öüóőúíéáűÍÜÓÖŐÚÉÁŰ')
>> insert into sample_table (sample_column) values ('čćšđž ČĆŽŠĐ')
>>
>> and then selecting it, I get the following:
>>
>> öüóoúíéáuÍÜÓÖOÚÉÁU
>> ccšdž CCŽŠÐ
>
> Could you send me the Mylog output of the operations?
>
> regards,
> Hiroshi Inoue

Attachment