PostgreSQL ODBC connection from Crystal reports in windows, currency domain

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
Hello,

I'm attempting to get Crystal reports working with PostgreSQL with an
ODBC connection, via psqlODBC. I can successfully establish the
connection easily. However, I have a domain called "currency", that
handles currency values:

CREATE DOMAIN currency
  AS numeric(10,2);
ALTER DOMAIN currency OWNER TO manager;

fields of currency appear as "strings" in Crystal reports, and they
lack fixed precision ( the value 1.00 appears as 1, for example). Why
might this be? How can I get it to appear as a numeric type, which I
can find the sum of, etc?

Thanks,
Peter Geoghegan

Re: PostgreSQL ODBC connection from Crystal reports in windows, currency domain

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Mon, 2009-03-09 at 15:07 +0000, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm attempting to get Crystal reports working with PostgreSQL with an
> ODBC connection, via psqlODBC. I can successfully establish the
> connection easily. However, I have a domain called "currency", that
> handles currency values:
>
> CREATE DOMAIN currency
>   AS numeric(10,2);
> ALTER DOMAIN currency OWNER TO manager;
>
> fields of currency appear as "strings" in Crystal reports, and they
> lack fixed precision ( the value 1.00 appears as 1, for example). Why
> might this be? How can I get it to appear as a numeric type, which I
> can find the sum of, etc?

Just use numeric and don't create a domain?

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org
   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: PostgreSQL ODBC connection from Crystal reports in windows, currency domain

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
Joshua,

I've found a reasonable solution. I simply create custom "formula
fields" in Crystal reports. Formulas consist of things like this:

ToNumber({processed_daily_sales.value})
ToText({department_group.description})

They can then be used just as you'd use the columns themselves if they
were typed correctly. This is slightly hacky, but by far the most
acceptable solution, to my mind.

Regards,
Peter Geoghegan