Restore and backup with VFP

From
"Mr. John"
Date:
Hi
I'm looking for some clues to backup and restore Postgre database from client side using VFP,I found this
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/2007-03/msg00060.php

but doesn't work,I got this error

"pg_dump.exe"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Thanks

Re: Restore and backup with VFP

From
"Richard Broersma"
Date:
On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 11:28 PM, Mr. John <mr_johnmr@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi
> I'm looking for some clues to backup and restore Postgre database from
> client side using VFP,I found this
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/2007-03/msg00060.php
>
> but doesn't work,I got this error
>
> "pg_dump.exe"' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.

pg_dump.exe is usually located:

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.X\bin\

You might need to adjust your PATH system variable to see this
directory so that you can execute pg_dump.exe without having to
qualify it with its directory location.

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: Restore and backup with VFP

From
"Mr. John"
Date:
Thanks Richard for answer,you're right but I want to backup database from client side  so there is not such file,do I have to copy here?I've done such thing,it works but backup is saved on client not on server this can be difficult for big database,I used Firebird RDMS and backups were done on server side.
Thanks.

Date:
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Mr. John <mr_johnmr@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I want to backup database from
> client side  so there is not such file,do I have to copy here?

I think that using the postgresql installation binary, you can choose
to only install the client tools. (i.e. psql.exe, pg_dump.exe ... ) on
your client machine.

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: Restore and backup with VFP

From
"Mr. John"
K,thanks again,I thinks that's the clue,what about backup location on server or on client.

Date:
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Mr. John <mr_johnmr@yahoo.com> wrote:
> K,thanks again,I thinks that's the clue,what about backup location on server
> or on client.

I don't understand your question.  Would you elaborate a little more?

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: Restore and backup with VFP

From
"Mr. John"
Date:
Database is located on server,when I backup from client computer,the backup is saved on this machine witch means the whole backup file is thrown by network.If there is a huge database,backup time will increase this way,otherwise if database could be saved on server the network traffic will be small and also backup time.

Thanks.

Date:
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:43 AM, Mr. John <mr_johnmr@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Database is located on server,when I backup from client computer,the backup
> is saved on this machine witch means the whole backup file is thrown by
> network.If there is a huge database,backup time will increase this
> way,otherwise if database could be saved on server the network traffic will
> be small and also backup time.

True.  Whats the question?

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: Restore and backup with VFP

From
"Mr. John"
Date:
Can I backup from client machine and save file direct to server to avoid network traffic ?

> Database is located on server,when I backup from client computer,the backup
> is saved on this machine witch means the whole backup file is thrown by
> network.If there is a huge database,backup time will increase this
> way,otherwise if database could be saved on server the network traffic will
> be small and also backup time.

True.  Whats the question?

Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug

Re: Restore and backup with VFP

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 27/08/2008 18:59, Mr. John wrote:
> Can I backup from client machine and save file direct to server to avoid
> network traffic ?

If you have SSH available, you could use that to run the backup on the
server...

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Restore and backup with VFP

From
"Adam M"
Date:
On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 12:43 PM, Mr. John <mr_johnmr@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Database is located on server,when I backup from client computer,the backup
> is saved on this machine witch means the whole backup file is thrown by
> network.If there is a huge database,backup time will increase this
> way,otherwise if database could be saved on server the network traffic will
> be small and also backup time.

If you save database dump on your server, it is also known as "not a backup".

- Adam