Can't create DSN using SSPI authentication WinXP to WinXP

From
"Roger Quincy"
Date:
I have posted this before and have a little more info but am still needing help.

I have PostgreSQL 8.3.1 w32 running on Windows XP sp2 server.
I want to authenticate using sspi for my Windows XP clients (domained) but while creating a DSN, I get an
"authenticationmethod 9 not supported" error message.
Here is a screenshot of the error message on the client while trying to create a DSN:
http://pages.suddenlink.net/lt1/scnshot.jpg
The error message dialog box pops up after clicking the Test button.

If I change the entry in the pg_hba.conf file to from "sspi" to "trust", I can create the DSN with no problem. But,
usingtrust for multiple users is not secure enough. I am using the latest psqlODBC verson (8.03.01.00).

I have been told that the libpq library (libpq.dll) I  have doesn't support the functionality. And, that I need to
build a new libpq.dll with ENABLE_SSPI defined.
However, I am not a programmer and I don't know how to do this.
Can anyone help me?

Roger

Roger M. Quincy, PG
Hydrologist
Texas Water Development Board
Ground Water Technical Assistance Section
phone: 512-936-0833
email: rquincy@txwin.net
web: http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/GwRD/waterwell/well_info.asp

Re: Can't create DSN using SSPI authentication WinXP to WinXP

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Hi.

Please use the installer package(08.03.0100).
Then, remove libpq.dll there. and use set SSL select of dialog.

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

"Roger Quincy"
>I have posted this before and have a little more info but am still needing help.
>
>I have PostgreSQL 8.3.1 w32 running on Windows XP sp2 server.
>I want to authenticate using sspi for my Windows XP clients (domained) but while creating a DSN, I get an
"authenticationmethod 9 not supported" error message.
>Here is a screenshot of the error message on the client while trying to create a DSN:
>http://pages.suddenlink.net/lt1/scnshot.jpg
>The error message dialog box pops up after clicking the Test button.
>
>If I change the entry in the pg_hba.conf file to from "sspi" to "trust", I can create the DSN with no problem. But,
usingtrust for multiple users is not secure enough. I am using the latest psqlODBC verson (8.03.01.00).

>I have been told that the libpq library (libpq.dll) I  have doesn't support the functionality. And, that I need to
build a new libpq.dll with ENABLE_SSPI defined.
>However, I am not a programmer and I don't know how to do this.
>Can anyone help me?
>
>Roger
>

>Roger M. Quincy, PG
>Hydrologist
>Texas Water Development Board
>Ground Water Technical Assistance Section
>phone: 512-936-0833
>email: rquincy@txwin.net
>web: http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/GwRD/waterwell/well_info.asp
>

>--

Re: Can't create DSN using SSPI authentication WinXP to WinXP

From
"Roger Quincy"
Date:
No success.

I have been using 08.03.0100.

I deleted the libpq.dll like you say and then I get the following setting up the ODBC:

If I choose "Allow" in the SSL dialog, I get the error message "Unknown authorization type"
If I choose "Require" in the dialog,  I get the error message "Could not construct a socket to the server"

Is there something I need to do on the server side?
I tried putting SSL=On in the postgresql.conf file on the server but the service would not restart after I did this.
In the pg_hba.conf file, I have been using "host   all     all      0.0.0.0     0.0.0.0    sspi"

Thanks,
Roger

Roger M. Quincy, PG
Hydrologist
Texas Water Development Board
Ground Water Technical Assistance Section
phone: 512-936-0833
email: rquincy@txwin.net
web: http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/GwRD/waterwell/well_info.asp

>>> "Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito@guitar.ocn.ne.jp> 4/29/2008 5:22 PM >>>
Hi.

Please use the installer package(08.03.0100).
Then, remove libpq.dll there. and use set SSL select of dialog.

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: Can't create DSN using SSPI authentication WinXP toWinXP

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Hi.

Ahh, Ok.
In the first, since libpq.dll of psqlODBC(08.03.0100) are 8.2 bases, Therefore, SSPI is not
supported. However, psqlODBC had a peculiar SSPI module in a trial way. Then, I have the
result of only the SSL use of that. They are not many patterns though regrettable...sorry.
Probably, you are using PG Version 8.3. Then, It seems that it still has many problems.
As a possibility, using libpq.dll of 8.3 bases may have a good result. or, DEBUG of the SSPI
module of psqlODBC is required. However, much time is required....

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

I deleted the libpq.dll like you say and then I get the following setting up the ODBC:

If I choose "Allow" in the SSL dialog, I get the error message "Unknown authorization type"
If I choose "Require" in the dialog,  I get the error message "Could not construct a socket to the
server"

Is there something I need to do on the server side?
I tried putting SSL=On in the postgresql.conf file on the server but the service would not restart
after I did this.
In the pg_hba.conf file, I have been using "host   all     all      0.0.0.0     0.0.0.0    sspi"

Thanks,
Roger

Roger M. Quincy, PG
Hydrologist
Texas Water Development Board
Ground Water Technical Assistance Section
phone: 512-936-0833
email: rquincy@txwin.net
web: http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/GwRD/waterwell/well_info.asp

>>> "Hiroshi Saito" <z-saito@guitar.ocn.ne.jp> 4/29/2008 5:22 PM >>>
Hi.

Please use the installer package(08.03.0100).
Then, remove libpq.dll there. and use set SSL select of dialog.

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: Can't create DSN using SSPI authentication WinXP toWinXP

From
"Roger Quincy"
Date:
So what you are saying is that I will have to wait for future versions of PG and PsqlODBC to be released before I will
beable to get SSPI to work?

Thanks,
Roger

Roger M. Quincy, PG
Hydrologist
Texas Water Development Board
Ground Water Technical Assistance Section
phone: 512-936-0833
email: rquincy@txwin.net
web: http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/GwRD/waterwell/well_info.asp

Re: Can't create DSN using SSPI authentication WinXP toWinXP

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Hi.

Sorry, It is my misstake.
I will repackage psqlODBC with libpq of version 8.3.
However, I have no spere time now..It is weekend.

Regerds,
Hiroshi Saito

"Roger Quincy"
>So what you are saying is that I will have to wait for future versions of PG and PsqlODBC to be released before I will
beable to get SSPI to work?

>Thanks,
>Roger
>
>Roger M. Quincy, PG
>Hydrologist
>Texas Water Development Board
>Ground Water Technical Assistance Section
>phone: 512-936-0833
>email: rquincy@txwin.net
>web: http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/GwRD/waterwell/well_info.asp
>

>--

Re: Can't create DSN using SSPI authentication WinXP toWinXP

From
Jonas Okwara
Date:
Please  STOP SENDING ME THESE  MAILS.

JONAS

Roger Quincy wrote:
> So what you are saying is that I will have to wait for future versions of PG and PsqlODBC to be released before I
willbe able to get SSPI to work?

> Thanks,
> Roger
>
> Roger M. Quincy, PG
> Hydrologist
> Texas Water Development Board
> Ground Water Technical Assistance Section
> phone: 512-936-0833
> email: rquincy@txwin.net
> web: http://www.twdb.state.tx.us/GwRD/waterwell/well_info.asp

Re: Can't create DSN using SSPI authentication WinXP toWinXP

From
"Roger Quincy"
Date:
Hiroshi,

Thank you very much.
The new psqlODBC 08.03.0200 release fixes the issue.