ODBC driver types

From
"Philippe Lang"
Date:
Hi,

I have seen there are different types of the PGSQL ODBC driver v.8 now:

Postgresql ANSI     8.01.0005
Postgresql Unicode  8.01.0005
Postgresql-libpq    8.01.0004

Can anyone explain when we are supposed to use these specific driver
types?

----------------------------------
Philippe Lang
Attik System
rte de la Fonderie 2
1700 Fribourg
Switzerland
http://www.attiksystem.ch

Tel:   +41 (26) 422 13 75
Fax:   +41 (26) 422 13 76
GSM:   +41 (79) 351 49 94
Email: philippe.lang@attiksystem.ch
Skype: philippe.lang

Re: ODBC driver types

From
"Dave Page"

From the FAQ (now shipped with the installer):

2.5) There are 2 drivers installed - which should I use?

PostgreSQL Unicode is a Unicode enabled driver that will work well with
modern versions of applications such as Microsoft Access, with character
from a huge range of languages. You should use this driver with
PostgreSQL databases encoded as 'UNICODE' (more precisely known as
'UTF-8' in PostgreSQL).

PostgreSQL ANSI is an ANSI driver which is also able to handle some
multibyte character sets such as EUC_JP, BIG5 and Shift-JIS. This driver
should also be used with databases encoded using any of the LATIN
charactersets.

Note that some applications (notably Borland BDE) do not work properly
with Unicode ODBC drivers. In this case, you must use the ANSI driver.

> Postgresql-libpq    8.01.0004

Lose that one - it's no longer required.

Regards, Dave.

Re: ODBC driver types

From
Håkon Clausen
Dave Page wrote:

 >> Postgresql ANSI     8.01.0005
 >> Postgresql Unicode  8.01.0005
 > PostgreSQL ANSI is an ANSI driver which is also able to handle some
 > multibyte character sets such as EUC_JP, BIG5 and Shift-JIS. This driver
 > should also be used with databases encoded using any of the LATIN
 > charactersets.

Hi,

Where is the 8.01.0005 version of the driver available? At
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/odbc/versions/snapshots/ the newest driver
seems to be 8.01.0004. When I run the installer, it says 08.01.0003.

Regards,

Håkon

Re: ODBC driver types

From
"Dave Page"

08.01.0005 is not yet released.

> When I run the installer, it says 08.01.0003.

Sounds like your system cached the msi file from the previous version. Make sure you uninstall it before installing  a
newerversion.

Regards, Dave

Re: ODBC driver types

From