"Official" version

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
I think it's fairly safe to say that the new libpq version of psqlODBC
is more stable than the previous release versions of the driver, and
also now offers more features such as SSL, Kerberos authentication (has
anyone tried this yet?), pgpass files and so on.

In light of this, I think the libpq version should now take over as the
official driver, and lose the 'libpq' suffix that was added for testing.

If anyone has any strong objections, please shriek soon!!

Regards, Dave.

Re: "Official" version

From
"Scot Loach"
Date:
there are some things it doesn't have yet
- proper error handling (the sqlstate return codes are not yet done as far as I can tell)
- disconnect detection using the SQL_ATTR_CONNECTION_DEAD is broken in the libpq version

I don't have confidence that it's as stable as the old driver, since I have found the previous version to be extremely
stableover years of use on a large install base, and until I get past at least one of these issues I won't be able to
evaluatethis version in production.  Once I get past these issues I'm pretty sure I'll find some more.

I really do appreciate all the work that has gone into this and I am impressed how quickly it got to this state, I
thinkit's almost there.

scot.

I think it's fairly safe to say that the new libpq version of psqlODBC
is more stable than the previous release versions of the driver, and
also now offers more features such as SSL, Kerberos authentication (has
anyone tried this yet?), pgpass files and so on.

In light of this, I think the libpq version should now take over as the
official driver, and lose the 'libpq' suffix that was added for testing.

If anyone has any strong objections, please shriek soon!!

Regards, Dave.

Re: "Official" version

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
* Dave Page (dpage@vale-housing.co.uk) wrote:
> I think it's fairly safe to say that the new libpq version of psqlODBC
> is more stable than the previous release versions of the driver, and
> also now offers more features such as SSL, Kerberos authentication (has
> anyone tried this yet?), pgpass files and so on.
>
> In light of this, I think the libpq version should now take over as the
> official driver, and lose the 'libpq' suffix that was added for testing.
>
> If anyone has any strong objections, please shriek soon!!

I was playing around with psqlodbclibpq-08_01_0003.zip and seemed to be
having problems in Access with it.  I'd get errors about a failed
command happening inside a transaction and that all commands till the
end of the transaction would be ignored.  Is there a more recent version
of the driver?  This is against an 8.0.3 database.

Never saw this with the older driver.  I got it right off the bat (when
getting the table listing in Access to link to) when I had
'declare/fetch' on (which I really need...).  When I turned that off I
was able to get past the table list and actually link to a table but
when I tried to open the table that's what I got. :/

I'd really like to get these issues resolved, of course...

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Attachment

Re: "Official" version

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Hi Scot,

I'll look into the first 2 issues. I don't believe many of the state codes come from the comms code, so that's probably
nottoo hard to resolve.

Re: confidence - I can only guess that your apps never used multi-chunk SQL_C_WVARCHAR data, otherwise you surely
wouldn'thave such confidence in the old driver!!!! :-)

/D

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
[...]

Date:
That’s odd - much of my testing has been in Access and i'm unaware of any outstanding issues.

Can you provide a minimal pg_dump file containing a table that illustrates the problem please?

/D

I was playing around with psqlodbclibpq-08_01_0003.zip and seemed to be
having problems in Access with it.  I'd get errors about a failed
command happening inside a transaction and that all commands till the
end of the transaction would be ignored.  Is there a more recent version
of the driver?  This is against an 8.0.3 database.

Never saw this with the older driver.  I got it right off the bat (when
getting the table listing in Access to link to) when I had
'declare/fetch' on (which I really need...).  When I turned that off I
was able to get past the table list and actually link to a table but
when I tried to open the table that's what I got. :/

I'd really like to get these issues resolved, of course...

    Thanks,

        Stephen

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
* Dave Page (dpage@vale-housing.co.uk) wrote:
> I think it's fairly safe to say that the new libpq version of psqlODBC
> is more stable than the previous release versions of the driver, and
> also now offers more features such as SSL, Kerberos authentication (has
> anyone tried this yet?), pgpass files and so on.
>
> In light of this, I think the libpq version should now take over as the
> official driver, and lose the 'libpq' suffix that was added for testing.
>
> If anyone has any strong objections, please shriek soon!!

I was playing around with psqlodbclibpq-08_01_0003.zip and seemed to be
having problems in Access with it.  I'd get errors about a failed
command happening inside a transaction and that all commands till the
end of the transaction would be ignored.  Is there a more recent version
of the driver?  This is against an 8.0.3 database.

Never saw this with the older driver.  I got it right off the bat (when
getting the table listing in Access to link to) when I had
'declare/fetch' on (which I really need...).  When I turned that off I
was able to get past the table list and actually link to a table but
when I tried to open the table that's what I got. :/

I'd really like to get these issues resolved, of course...

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Re: "Official" version

From
"Ing. Martin Sramko"
Date:
We are using psqlODBC 8.0.0102 and it is very stable to older versions...
New driver (libpq) seems stable, but so slow (why?) to ODBC 08.00.0102. I
can't find any reason for this. Can anyone help me? New driver has more
futures (SSL and so on), so we'll happy if we can use it.

Here is my system config:

MS WIN XP SP2 +
MS .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 +
MS VS 2003 +
psqlodbclibpq-08_01_0003

Database server PostgreSQL 8.0.3 on Fedora 4

My connection string (DSN less):
DRIVER={PostgreSQL};SERVER=x;DATABASE=x;UID=x;PASSWORD=x;PORT=5432;

A0=0;A1=6.4;A2=0;A3=0;A4=0;A5=0;A6=;A7=100;A8=4096;A9=0B0=254;B1=8190;B2=0;B3=0;B4=1;B5=1;B6=0;B7=1;B8=0;B9=1;C0=0;C1=0;C2=dd_

>I think it's fairly safe to say that the new libpq version of psqlODBC
> is more stable than the previous release versions of the driver, and
> also now offers more features such as SSL, Kerberos authentication (has
> anyone tried this yet?), pgpass files and so on.
>
> In light of this, I think the libpq version should now take over as the
> official driver, and lose the 'libpq' suffix that was added for testing.
>
> If anyone has any strong objections, please shriek soon!!
>
> Regards, Dave.

Re: "Official" version

From
"Scot Loach"
Date:
Good point on the declare/fetch usage, obviously this needs to be tried before the driver is considered stable.

Same goes for the server-side prepared queries, has anyone tried this feature with the libpq driver?

That’s odd - much of my testing has been in Access and i'm unaware of any outstanding issues.

Can you provide a minimal pg_dump file containing a table that illustrates the problem please?

/D

I was playing around with psqlodbclibpq-08_01_0003.zip and seemed to be
having problems in Access with it.  I'd get errors about a failed
command happening inside a transaction and that all commands till the
end of the transaction would be ignored.  Is there a more recent version
of the driver?  This is against an 8.0.3 database.

Never saw this with the older driver.  I got it right off the bat (when
getting the table listing in Access to link to) when I had
'declare/fetch' on (which I really need...).  When I turned that off I
was able to get past the table list and actually link to a table but
when I tried to open the table that's what I got. :/

I'd really like to get these issues resolved, of course...

    Thanks,

        Stephen

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
* Dave Page (dpage@vale-housing.co.uk) wrote:
> I think it's fairly safe to say that the new libpq version of psqlODBC
> is more stable than the previous release versions of the driver, and
> also now offers more features such as SSL, Kerberos authentication (has
> anyone tried this yet?), pgpass files and so on.
>
> In light of this, I think the libpq version should now take over as the
> official driver, and lose the 'libpq' suffix that was added for testing.
>
> If anyone has any strong objections, please shriek soon!!

I was playing around with psqlodbclibpq-08_01_0003.zip and seemed to be
having problems in Access with it.  I'd get errors about a failed
command happening inside a transaction and that all commands till the
end of the transaction would be ignored.  Is there a more recent version
of the driver?  This is against an 8.0.3 database.

Never saw this with the older driver.  I got it right off the bat (when
getting the table listing in Access to link to) when I had
'declare/fetch' on (which I really need...).  When I turned that off I
was able to get past the table list and actually link to a table but
when I tried to open the table that's what I got. :/

I'd really like to get these issues resolved, of course...

    Thanks,

        Stephen

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Re: "Official" version

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
I've tested declare/fetch a fair bit - it was originally broken by the thread/transactions bug but seems OK now.

Haven't tried server side prepare though. Have you got some time to test it?

/D

Good point on the declare/fetch usage, obviously this needs to be tried before the driver is considered stable.

Same goes for the server-side prepared queries, has anyone tried this feature with the libpq driver?

That’s odd - much of my testing has been in Access and i'm unaware of any outstanding issues.

Can you provide a minimal pg_dump file containing a table that illustrates the problem please?

/D

I was playing around with psqlodbclibpq-08_01_0003.zip and seemed to be
having problems in Access with it.  I'd get errors about a failed
command happening inside a transaction and that all commands till the
end of the transaction would be ignored.  Is there a more recent version
of the driver?  This is against an 8.0.3 database.

Never saw this with the older driver.  I got it right off the bat (when
getting the table listing in Access to link to) when I had
'declare/fetch' on (which I really need...).  When I turned that off I
was able to get past the table list and actually link to a table but
when I tried to open the table that's what I got. :/

I'd really like to get these issues resolved, of course...

    Thanks,

        Stephen

-----Unmodified Original Message-----
* Dave Page (dpage@vale-housing.co.uk) wrote:
> I think it's fairly safe to say that the new libpq version of psqlODBC
> is more stable than the previous release versions of the driver, and
> also now offers more features such as SSL, Kerberos authentication (has
> anyone tried this yet?), pgpass files and so on.
>
> In light of this, I think the libpq version should now take over as the
> official driver, and lose the 'libpq' suffix that was added for testing.
>
> If anyone has any strong objections, please shriek soon!!

I was playing around with psqlodbclibpq-08_01_0003.zip and seemed to be
having problems in Access with it.  I'd get errors about a failed
command happening inside a transaction and that all commands till the
end of the transaction would be ignored.  Is there a more recent version
of the driver?  This is against an 8.0.3 database.

Never saw this with the older driver.  I got it right off the bat (when
getting the table listing in Access to link to) when I had
'declare/fetch' on (which I really need...).  When I turned that off I
was able to get past the table list and actually link to a table but
when I tried to open the table that's what I got. :/

I'd really like to get these issues resolved, of course...

    Thanks,

        Stephen

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Re: "Official" version

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Have you tried 08.01.0003? Is all logging turned off?

If it is still slower, can you describe your workload, and how you execute queries (prepared?, declare/fetch etc?).

Fwiw, the benchmarks I have run show very similar performance to the older driver.

Regards, Dave

>I think it's fairly safe to say that the new libpq version of psqlODBC
> is more stable than the previous release versions of the driver, and
> also now offers more features such as SSL, Kerberos authentication (has
> anyone tried this yet?), pgpass files and so on.
>
> In light of this, I think the libpq version should now take over as the
> official driver, and lose the 'libpq' suffix that was added for testing.
>
> If anyone has any strong objections, please shriek soon!!
>
> Regards, Dave.

Re: "Official" version

From
"Ing. Martin Šramko"
Date:
Yes, I've tried 08.01.0003 and logging is off, if new driver use parameters
b2 and b3 to control this. (is this true?)

I'm using dataset with more tables connected to database through that
driver. For each table I've created OdbcCommand with needed SQL statements
(select, insert, update - some or all). On user form, I've 3 DataGrids to
allow user to edit, add and delete records to appropriate table.  Tables are
in relationship master-detail (1:N), so if user clicks on row in master
datagrid (chooses record in master table), I need to show only appropriate
child rows from detail table in detail datagrid. Sample - user clicks
receipt with id 1 and I need to show receipt_items from receipt with
receipt_id = 1. I'm using stored procs with few parameters to retrieve data
from tables. Is it OK?

Thanks,

Martin

> Have you tried 08.01.0003? Is all logging turned off?
>
> If it is still slower, can you describe your workload, and how you execute
> queries (prepared?, declare/fetch etc?).
>
> Fwiw, the benchmarks I have run show very similar performance to the older
> driver.
>
> Regards, Dave

Re: "Official" version

From
"Scot Loach"
Date:
I don't have much time - I did have enough time to do a basic run against it though, and it seems to have some
problems.
I tried it with a select statement and got this error back when I did a fetch on it.

Null statement result in PGAPI_ExtendedFetch.

> [...]

> official driver, and lose the 'libpq' suffix that was added for testing.
>
> If anyone has any strong objections, please shriek soon!!

I was playing around with psqlodbclibpq-08_01_0003.zip and seemed to be
having problems in Access with it.  I'd get errors about a failed
command happening inside a transaction and that all commands till the
end of the transaction would be ignored.  Is there a more recent version
of the driver?  This is against an 8.0.3 database.

Never saw this with the older driver.  I got it right off the bat (when
getting the table listing in Access to link to) when I had
'declare/fetch' on (which I really need...).  When I turned that off I
was able to get past the table list and actually link to a table but
when I tried to open the table that's what I got. :/

I'd really like to get these issues resolved, of course...

Probably - the a/b parameters haven't changed at all.

> I'm using dataset with more tables connected to database through that
> driver. For each table I've created OdbcCommand with needed
> SQL statements
> (select, insert, update - some or all). On user form, I've 3
> DataGrids to
> allow user to edit, add and delete records to appropriate
> table.  Tables are
> in relationship master-detail (1:N), so if user clicks on row
> in master
> datagrid (chooses record in master table), I need to show
> only appropriate
> child rows from detail table in detail datagrid. Sample - user clicks
> receipt with id 1 and I need to show receipt_items from receipt with
> receipt_id = 1. I'm using stored procs with few parameters to
> retrieve data
> from tables. Is it OK?

ODBCCommand - is that a .NET ODBC provider object? If so, is there any reason you're not using Npgsql (if you're
workingin pure .NET, you are probably better without ODBC if that's possible)?

Anyway, what exactly is slow - retrieval of data when the user selects a master record? How many records are liekly to
bein each resultset? Does the Use Declare/Fetch option make any difference?

Regards, Dave.

Re: "Official" version

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
> I think it's fairly safe to say that the new libpq version of psqlODBC
> is more stable than the previous release versions of the driver, and
> also now offers more features such as SSL, Kerberos authentication
(has
> anyone tried this yet?), pgpass files and so on.
>
> In light of this, I think the libpq version should now take over as
the
> official driver, and lose the 'libpq' suffix that was added for
testing.

> If anyone has any strong objections, please shriek soon!!
>
> Regards, Dave.

In my experience the new driver is better than the older one.  In fact,
it specifically addressed some issues people (Joel) were having in high
load production systems.

That being said, why not wait for the 8.1 release of postgresql and
release the odbc drive 8.1 at the same time?  That gives 1-2 more months
of testing and feedback.

Merlin

Re: "Official" version

From