Illegal access violation

From
Bob Caryl
Hello all:

I am using the latest version of postgresql (version 8.03) on a linux
machine as my server.  I also using the latest version of the postgresql
odbc driver (08_00_0101) on my WinXP platform.  I have updateable
cursors enabled on the odbc driver.  I am trying to simply add a new row
to my table on the linux machine, and when I call the CRecordset::Update
method my application crashes with a memory access violation every
time.  Using the debugger and stepping through the code, the crash
apparently happens in the .dll code.  According to logs client and
server side, this crash occurs before any attempt is made to do anything
server-side.

Has anyone else seen this, and if so what might I be doing wrong here?

Thanks,

Bob Caryl

Re: Illegal access violation

From
"Dave Page"

The updateable cursor option is known to be a little unstable (which is
why it's marked experimental). Can you please try the latest libpq based
driver from http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/odbc/versions/snapshots/ and
see how it performs please?

Regards, dave.

Re: Illegal access violation

From
"Joel Fradkin"
Date:
I am no expert, and am not sure what your app is, but you could try changing
your connection to allow logs (c:\mylog) , in this way you can see what is
happening and post it here for better analysis.
Debug=1 turns logs on in a dsn less connection.
For IIS you have to give permission for Iuser to write to the c drive.

Joel Fradkin

               http://archives.postgresql.org

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]
Hey Dave,

This was, apparently my problem.  I was not using the correct version of
the obdc driver for WinXP.  As to the updateable cursors issue:  The
only operation I am doing here is adding records to a table back on my
linux routine.  Upon opening my CRecordset object I do not even retrieve
any records, simply supplying the table name where one would normally
insert a query to retrieve rows.  Hence, I am hoping that I don't run
afoul of any of the problem areas for updateable cursors.  Assuming I'm
naive about this, I would love a URL to which I can point my browser for
more information on this subject.

Thanks!

Bob Caryl

Re: Illegal access violation

From
"Dave Page"

Hi Bob,

I don't know anything about CRecordset's, but you shouldn't generally
need to use updateable cursors to do simple inserts - they are normally
used for updating records in large resultsets.

Regards, Dave.